(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Weather
Learn Common Words in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn common words in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "weather" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "weather" category:
- cold, foggy, hailing, hot, humid, icy, partly cloudy, rainbow, raining, snowing, sunny, thunder and lightning, wet, wind
- When it's cold, the air feels chilly, and people often wear warm clothing like coats, scarves, and gloves.
- In cold weather, you can see your breath as small clouds of moisture when you exhale.
- During cold winter months, some places may experience snowfall, turning the landscape into a snowy wonderland.
- On foggy days, the air is filled with thick mist, and visibility is reduced.
- Drivers use headlights and fog lights to navigate safely in foggy conditions.
- Foggy mornings often create a mysterious and atmospheric ambiance.
- Hailing occurs when small balls of ice, called hailstones, fall from the sky during a storm.
- Hailing can be noisy and may cause damage to cars and plants.
- People seek shelter indoors during a hailing storm to stay safe from the ice pellets.
- When it's hot, the weather is warm or even sweltering, and people may wear light clothing to stay cool.
- During hot summer days, it's common to see people enjoying ice cream or cold drinks.
- Hot weather often makes outdoor activities like swimming and picnics enjoyable.
- Humid weather is characterized by high moisture levels in the air, making it feel sticky and uncomfortable.
- People may use fans or air conditioning to stay comfortable in humid conditions.
- Humid climates are often associated with lush vegetation and tropical regions.
- Icy conditions occur when surfaces, such as roads or sidewalks, become covered in a thin layer of frozen ice.
- Walking or driving on icy surfaces can be dangerous and may lead to slips and accidents.
- In very icy weather, salt or sand is often spread to improve traction and safety.
- Partly cloudy weather features a mix of clouds and clear sky, creating a pleasant balance of sun and shade.
- People enjoy spending time outdoors during partly cloudy days because they offer a variety of weather conditions.
- Sometimes, a partly cloudy sky can result in beautiful sunsets with colorful hues.
- A rainbow is a natural optical phenomenon that appears as a colorful arc in the sky when sunlight is refracted by raindrops.
- People often admire the beauty of a rainbow and associate it with good luck and positive vibes.
- Rainbows typically display a range of colors, including red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.
- When it's raining, water falls from the sky in the form of raindrops, creating a soothing sound as it hits surfaces.
- People use umbrellas or raincoats to stay dry when they need to be outside while it's raining.
- Raining weather is essential for nourishing plants and ensuring a fresh water supply for various ecosystems.
- Snowing occurs when frozen ice crystals fall from the sky, covering the ground in a blanket of snow.
- Children often enjoy playing in the snow, building snowmen, and having snowball fights when it's snowing.
- Snowing weather can create picturesque winter landscapes and is associated with the holiday season.
- Sunny weather is characterized by clear skies and abundant sunlight, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- People often spend time outdoors, go to the beach, or have picnics on sunny days.
- Sunny weather can boost moods and provide the perfect backdrop for outdoor activities.
thunder and lightning
- Thunder and lightning occur during thunderstorms, with thunder being the sound produced by lightning.
- Lightning is a bright electrical discharge in the sky, while thunder is the rumbling noise it creates.
- People often take shelter indoors when there's thunder and lightning to stay safe from potential electrical storms.
- When it's wet, surfaces are damp or soaked with water, which can be caused by rain, snow, or other forms of precipitation.
- People may use umbrellas or rain gear to stay dry when they need to be outside in wet weather.
- Wet conditions can create puddles, slippery surfaces, and a need for extra caution when walking or driving.
- Wind is the movement of air in the atmosphere, and it can vary in speed from a gentle breeze to a strong gust.
- On windy days, objects like trees sway, flags flap, and wind chimes create musical sounds.
- Wind is a natural force that can affect the weather and has various uses, such as generating wind energy.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.