(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Verbs
Learn Common Verbs in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn common verbs in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "verbs" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "verbs" category:
- run, serve, shiver, shout, shower, sing, sleep, stop, study, sweep, throw, use, vomit, wake, walk, wash up, wash, wear, work, worry, write, answer, ask, bounce, brush, carry, catch, celebrate, cook, cry, dance, eat, explore, fear, fight, hate, hear, hold, jump, laugh, lie, like, listen, love, miss, paint, play, read, recycle
- She loves to run in the park every morning.
- He had to run to catch the bus.
- They decided to run a marathon together.
- The waiter will serve your food shortly.
- She wanted to serve her community by volunteering at the local shelter.
- He will serve as the captain of the team this season.
- She began to shiver in the cold winter wind.
- After swimming in the chilly lake, they started to shiver.
- He couldn't stop shivering when he stepped out of the icy water.
- She had to shout to be heard over the loud music.
- He tends to shout when he gets excited.
- They could hear someone shouting from a distance.
- He likes to take a shower every morning to wake up.
- She decided to shower after a long day at the beach.
- They took a quick shower before going out to dinner.
- She loves to sing her favorite songs in the shower.
- He was asked to sing at the school talent show.
- They joined a choir to learn how to sing harmoniously.
- She needs to get enough sleep to feel refreshed in the morning.
- He often has vivid dreams when he sleeps.
- They decided to sleep early to be well-rested for the big day.
- She asked him to stop talking during the movie.
- He had to stop the car suddenly to avoid an accident.
- They decided to stop for a quick break during their road trip.
- She needs to study for her upcoming exams.
- He spends hours in the library to study for his research project.
- They formed a study group to help each other study more effectively.
- She grabbed a broom to sweep the leaves from the porch.
- He volunteered to sweep the classroom after school.
- They hired a cleaning service to sweep and mop the entire house.
- She can throw a baseball really far.
- He decided to throw a surprise party for his friend's birthday.
- They like to throw frisbees at the beach during the summer.
- She knows how to use a computer very well.
- He had to use a map to find his way to the new restaurant.
- They learned how to use a compass for orienteering.
- She felt nauseous and had to vomit.
- He drank too much and ended up vomiting in the bathroom.
- They rushed to the doctor when their child started to vomit repeatedly.
- She set an alarm clock to wake her up in the morning.
- He was surprised to wake up to the sound of birds singing outside.
- They had to wake their friend from a deep sleep to catch their flight.
- She likes to walk in the park to relax.
- He decided to walk to work instead of taking the bus.
- They took their dog for a long walk by the river.
- She always makes sure to wash up before dinner.
- He offered to wash up the dishes after the meal.
- They like to wash up together in the morning to save time.
- She needs to wash her clothes before the trip.
- He decided to wash the car on a sunny day.
- They took turns to wash the windows for spring cleaning.
- She likes to wear colorful dresses in the summer.
- He had to wear a suit and tie for the job interview.
- They chose to wear comfortable shoes for the long hike.
- She has to work late to finish her project.
- He enjoys his work as a teacher because he loves kids.
- They plan to work together on the upcoming presentation.
- She tends to worry about things even when there's no need to.
- He couldn't help but worry about his friend's safety during the storm.
- They decided not to worry about the small details and just enjoy the trip.
- She enjoys using her notebook to write stories.
- He needs to write a thank-you letter for the birthday gift.
- They decided to write a letter to their grandparents to stay in touch.
- She was the first to answer the teacher's question.
- He couldn't wait for his turn to answer the quiz.
- They discussed the problem together before they could answer it correctly.
- She likes to ask questions to learn new things.
- He needed to ask for directions to find the museum.
- They decided to ask their parents for permission to go on the trip.
- She watched the ball bounce up and down.
- He likes to bounce on the trampoline at the playground.
- They played with a rubber ball that could bounce really high.
- She used a hairbrush to brush her long hair.
- He decided to brush his dog's fur to keep it clean.
- They carefully brushed the dust off the old book before reading it.
- She needed to carry her heavy backpack to school.
- He offered to carry the groceries for his mother.
- They decided to carry their picnic basket to the park for lunch.
- She can catch a ball with one hand.
- He tried to catch the flying frisbee in the air.
- They played a game of tag and tried to catch each other.
- She likes to celebrate her birthday with a big party.
- He and his friends will celebrate their graduation next week.
- They decided to celebrate their anniversary with a romantic dinner.
- She learned to cook delicious meals from her grandmother.
- He enjoys experimenting with different ingredients when he cooks.
- They decided to cook a special dinner for their family.
- She tends to cry when she watches sad movies.
- He didn't want to cry in front of others, so he went to his room.
- They comforted their friend when they saw her crying after the game.
- She loves to dance to her favorite songs at parties.
- He took dance lessons to learn how to dance salsa.
- They had a great time at the school dance, dancing with their friends.
- She enjoys going to her favorite restaurant to eat pizza.
- He likes to eat fruits and vegetables to stay healthy.
- They decided to eat breakfast together before starting their day.
- She dreams of traveling to new places to explore different cultures.
- He and his friends like to explore the nearby forest during the summer.
- They planned a trip to explore historical landmarks in the city.
- She has a deep fear of heights and avoids tall buildings.
- He had to overcome his fear of public speaking for his job.
- They comforted their child's fear of the dark by leaving a nightlight on.
- She believes in peaceful solutions and doesn't like to fight with others.
- He had a disagreement with his friend, but they resolved it without a physical fight.
- They decided to fight for their rights by participating in a protest.
- She doesn't hate anyone and believes in forgiveness.
- He realized that he didn't really hate the new student; he was just shy.
- They discussed why it's important not to hate people who are different from them.
- She could hear the birds singing outside her window.
- He had trouble focusing because he could hear his neighbor's loud music.
- They were excited to hear the news of their friend's engagement.
- She had to hold her sister's hand to cross the busy street safely.
- He decided to hold onto the precious family heirloom.
- They couldn't help but hold each other during the emotional movie scene.
- She likes to jump on the trampoline for fun.
- He needed to jump over the puddle to avoid getting his shoes wet.
- They watched the athletes jump over the hurdles in the race.
- She couldn't help but laugh at the comedian's jokes.
- He and his friends always laugh together during their gatherings.
- They shared a funny story that made everyone laugh at the dinner table.
- She doesn't like to lie and believes in honesty.
- He decided to lie down and rest for a while.
- They knew it was wrong to lie about their grades to their parents.
- She likes to read books in her free time.
- He likes to eat ice cream on hot summer days.
- They both like to go hiking in the mountains during the weekends.
- She enjoys sitting quietly to listen to the sounds of nature.
- He needed to listen carefully to the instructions before starting the task.
- They decided to listen to their favorite music to relax.
- She loves spending time with her family.
- He loves his pet dog and takes good care of it.
- They both love traveling to new places and experiencing different cultures.
- She couldn't help but miss her best friend when they moved away.
- He had to leave early and missed the exciting part of the movie.
- They miss their hometown and plan to visit soon.
- She likes to paint beautiful landscapes as a hobby.
- He decided to paint his room a bright, cheerful color.
- They gathered their art supplies to paint a mural on the school wall.
- She and her friends like to play board games on weekends.
- He used to play soccer with his classmates after school.
- They joined a local theater group to play in a musical production.
- She enjoys going to the library to read books.
- He decided to read a mystery novel before going to bed.
- They often read newspapers to stay updated on current events.
- She makes an effort to recycle plastic and paper products.
- He and his family collect recyclables to recycle them properly.
- They participated in a community event to raise awareness about the importance of recycling.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.