(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Transport
Learn Transport in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn common methods of transport in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "transport" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "transport" category:
- taxi, tractor, train, airplane, ambulance, bicycle, bus, car, fire truck, helicopter, hot air balloon, minivan, motorbike, police car, sailboat, scooter, ship, submarine
- A taxi is a type of vehicle that provides on-demand transportation services to passengers who need to get from one place to another.
- People often hail a taxi on the street or request one through a taxi service or mobile app.
- Inside a taxi, there is usually a driver who takes passengers to their desired destination and a meter to calculate the fare.
- A tractor is a powerful vehicle used primarily in farming to pull heavy machinery, plow fields, and perform various agricultural tasks.
- Tractors are known for their large, sturdy wheels and their ability to work on rough and uneven terrain.
- Farmers rely on tractors to assist them in planting, cultivating, and harvesting crops.
- A train is a long, connected series of railcars or carriages that run on tracks and transport people or goods from one place to another.
- Passengers board trains at train stations, and trains can travel both short and long distances.
- Some trains are known for their speed and efficiency, making them a popular choice for commuting and travel.
- An airplane is a powered flying vehicle with wings and engines that allows it to travel through the air, carrying passengers or cargo.
- When people want to travel long distances quickly, they often choose to fly on an airplane.
- Airplanes come in various sizes, from small private planes to large commercial airliners.
- An ambulance is a specialized emergency vehicle equipped with medical equipment and staffed by paramedics or emergency medical technicians (EMTs).
- When there is a medical emergency, an ambulance is dispatched to provide immediate medical care and transport the patient to a hospital.
- Quick response and medical expertise are crucial in an ambulance to save lives during emergencies.
- A bicycle is a human-powered vehicle with two wheels that people ride by pedaling to move forward.
- Many people use bicycles for transportation, exercise, and recreational activities.
- Riding a bicycle is an eco-friendly way to get around and stay active.
- A bus is a large public transportation vehicle that carries passengers along designated routes, making stops to pick up and drop off people.
- Public buses are commonly used for commuting within cities, towns, and urban areas.
- Passengers pay a fare and board the bus at bus stops located throughout the city.
- A car is a motorized vehicle with four wheels that people use for personal transportation.
- Cars are popular because they provide convenience and flexibility for travel.
- Drivers need a valid driver's license to operate a car, and they follow traffic rules and signals while driving.
- A fire truck is a specialized emergency vehicle used by firefighters to respond to fires and other emergencies.
- Fire trucks are equipped with hoses, water tanks, ladders, and other firefighting equipment.
- Firefighters use fire trucks to extinguish fires, rescue people, and provide assistance during accidents and disasters.
- A helicopter is a versatile aircraft with spinning rotor blades that allow it to hover, take off vertically, and fly in various directions.
- Helicopters are used for a wide range of purposes, including medical transport, search and rescue missions, and military operations.
- Some people enjoy scenic helicopter rides to get a unique view of landscapes and cityscapes.
hot air balloon
- A hot air balloon is an aircraft that floats in the sky using heated air to generate lift.
- People take rides in hot air balloons to enjoy breathtaking aerial views and peaceful journeys through the sky.
- Hot air balloon festivals feature colorful and artistic hot air balloons taking flight in unison.
- A minivan is a compact and versatile family vehicle with seating for several passengers.
- Families often choose minivans for their spacious interiors and ample cargo space.
- Minivans are suitable for transporting children, groceries, and luggage.
- A motorbike, also known as a motorcycle, is a two-wheeled vehicle with an engine that riders use for transportation and recreation.
- Motorcyclists wear helmets and protective gear while riding motorbikes to ensure safety.
- Some people enjoy the thrill of riding motorbikes on scenic routes and open roads.
- A police car is a law enforcement vehicle used by police officers to patrol neighborhoods, respond to emergencies, and enforce traffic laws.
- Police cars are equipped with sirens, flashing lights, and communication systems to assist officers in their duties.
- Officers in police cars work to maintain public safety and provide assistance when needed.
- A sailboat is a watercraft with sails that capture the wind's energy to propel the boat across bodies of water.
- Sailors use sailboats for leisurely sailing, racing, and exploring lakes, rivers, and oceans.
- Learning to operate and navigate a sailboat can be a rewarding and adventurous experience.
- A scooter is a small, motorized vehicle with two wheels and a step-through frame that riders use for short trips and commuting.
- Scooters are fuel-efficient and easy to maneuver through city streets, making them a popular choice for urban transportation.
- Some scooters have electric motors, while others run on gasoline.
- A ship is a large watercraft designed for traveling on oceans, seas, and other bodies of water.
- Ships are used for cargo transport, cruises, fishing, and even naval operations.
- Passengers on cruise ships can enjoy amenities like restaurants, pools, and entertainment while at sea.
- A submarine is a watercraft that can operate underwater, with the ability to submerge and resurface as needed.
- Submarines are used by navies for defense purposes and by researchers for underwater exploration.
- The interior of a submarine is specially designed to withstand the pressures of deep-sea environments.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.