(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Tools
Learn Common Tools in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn the names of common DIY tools English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "tools" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "tools" category:
- wrench, bolts, chainsaw, drill, hammer, level, nail, nuts, pickaxe, pliers, pocketknife, screwdriver, shears, spade, vice
- A wrench is a handy tool used for tightening or loosening nuts and bolts.
- When assembling furniture, it's essential to have a wrench to secure the pieces together.
- He reached for the wrench in his toolbox to fix the loose bolt on his bicycle.
- Bolts are metal fasteners with threaded ends that are used to hold parts of machines and structures together.
- When building a bookshelf, you'll need bolts to secure the shelves to the frame.
- She used a bolt and a nut to attach the handle to the door securely.
- A chainsaw is a powerful tool with a rotating chain used for cutting down trees and large branches.
- Professional loggers often use a chainsaw to harvest timber in forests.
- He borrowed a chainsaw from his neighbor to help clear fallen branches after a storm.
- A drill is a versatile tool that creates holes in various materials, such as wood, metal, or plastic.
- When hanging a picture frame, you can use a drill to make holes in the wall for screws or hooks.
- He carefully operated the drill to create holes in the wooden board for his DIY project.
- A hammer is a common tool used for driving nails into wood or other materials.
- When building a treehouse, you'll need a hammer to secure the wooden planks together.
- She gently tapped the hammer to make sure the nail was firmly in place.
- A level is a tool with a bubble vial that helps ensure that a surface or object is perfectly horizontal or vertical.
- When hanging a shelf, it's important to use a level to make sure it's straight.
- He adjusted the picture frame until the level bubble was centered, indicating it was hanging straight.
- A nail is a slender, pointed metal pin used for fastening objects together.
- She used a nail and a hammer to hang a painting on the wall.
- Nails come in various sizes, and the right size is chosen based on the thickness of the materials being joined.
- Nuts are small, hexagonal-shaped pieces of metal with threaded holes used in conjunction with bolts to fasten objects.
- When repairing a bicycle, you might need to tighten the nuts and bolts to ensure everything is secure.
- He carefully twisted the nut onto the bolt to hold the pieces of metal together.
- A pickaxe is a heavy tool with a pointed end on one side and a flat end on the other, used for breaking up rocks or hard soil.
- Miners often use a pickaxe to dig tunnels and extract valuable minerals from the earth.
- He swung the pickaxe to break apart the large boulder in his garden.
- Pliers are hand tools with two handles and jaws used for gripping, bending, or cutting wires and other materials.
- Electricians often use pliers to strip the insulation off wires and make electrical connections.
- He reached for the pliers to firmly grasp the wire and twist it into the desired shape.
- A pocketknife is a small, folding knife that fits in your pocket and is often used for various tasks like cutting rope or opening packages.
- Outdoor enthusiasts may carry a pocketknife when camping or hiking for its practicality.
- He pulled out his trusty pocketknife to open the package and reveal its contents.
- A screwdriver is a tool used for turning screws to fasten or loosen them in various objects.
- When assembling furniture, you'll need a screwdriver to secure the screws in place.
- She used a Phillips-head screwdriver to tighten the screws on the back of her computer.
- Shears are scissors with large blades, often used for cutting grass, hedges, or fabric.
- Gardeners use shears to trim bushes and maintain the shape of their plants.
- She carefully used the shears to cut a straight line in the fabric for her sewing project.
- A spade is a digging tool with a flat, rectangular blade used for turning soil, digging holes, or planting.
- When starting a garden, it's essential to have a spade to prepare the soil for planting.
- He used the spade to dig a hole in his backyard and plant a new tree.
- A vice is a mechanical device with two jaws that can be tightened to hold objects securely during tasks like cutting or shaping.
- Woodworkers often use a vice to secure a piece of wood while they work on it.
- He clamped the wooden plank in the vice to ensure it wouldn't move while he sawed it.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.