(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Rooms
Learn Words for Different Rooms in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn the names of different rooms in a house in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "rooms" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "rooms" category:
- balcony, basement, bathroom, bedroom, conservatory, dining room, garage, garden, hallway, kitchen, living room, nursery, study, attic
- A balcony is a raised outdoor platform or terrace that is typically attached to a building, offering a space to enjoy the outdoors and the view.
- People often place chairs and plants on their balcony to create a cozy and relaxing outdoor space.
- Some apartments and houses have private balconies where residents can sit and enjoy the fresh air.
- A basement is the lowest floor of a building, typically below ground level, and is often used for storage, utilities, or additional living space.
- Basements can be transformed into various rooms, including home theaters, game rooms, or exercise spaces.
- It's essential to keep basements dry and well-maintained to prevent issues like moisture and mold.
- A bathroom is a room in a house or building used for personal hygiene activities, such as bathing, showering, and using the toilet.
- Most bathrooms include a sink, toilet, and bathtub or shower, and they may also have a mirror and storage for toiletries.
- People start and end their day in the bathroom to freshen up and take care of daily routines.
- A bedroom is a private room in a house or apartment where people sleep and rest.
- Typical furnishings in a bedroom include a bed, bedside tables, a dresser, and a closet for clothing storage.
- Comfort and relaxation are essential in a bedroom, as it's a place to unwind and get a good night's sleep.
- A conservatory is a room with large windows and often a glass roof, designed to allow sunlight in and provide an ideal environment for growing plants.
- People use conservatories as sunrooms or indoor gardens, creating a bright and lush space inside their homes.
- It's a lovely experience to relax in a conservatory surrounded by greenery and natural light.
- A dining room is a designated space in a house where people gather to eat meals together.
- It typically contains a dining table and chairs, and some dining rooms also have a buffet or sideboard for serving dishes and storage.
- Family dinners and special occasions are often celebrated in the dining room.
- A garage is an enclosed space or building where vehicles, such as cars and motorcycles, are parked and protected from the weather.
- Many people also use their garages for storage of tools, equipment, and other items.
- Garages often have a large door that can be opened and closed for vehicle access.
- A garden is an outdoor area around a house where plants, flowers, and sometimes vegetables are cultivated for beauty and enjoyment.
- Gardening enthusiasts spend time planting, watering, and tending to their gardens to keep them vibrant and healthy.
- A garden can be a peaceful retreat and a place to connect with nature.
- A hallway is a long and narrow passage or corridor within a building, connecting rooms and providing access to different parts of the house.
- It's common for hallways to have doors leading to bedrooms, bathrooms, and other areas of the home.
- Decorating hallways with artwork or lighting can make them more inviting and functional.
- A kitchen is a room in a house where food is prepared, cooked, and often eaten.
- Key features in a kitchen include a stove or range, refrigerator, sink, and countertops for meal preparation.
- Kitchens are central to the home and are where delicious meals are made and shared with family and friends.
- A living room is a common gathering space in a house where people relax, socialize, and entertain guests.
- Typical furnishings in a living room include sofas, chairs, a coffee table, and a television or entertainment center.
- Comfort and coziness are priorities in a living room, making it an inviting area for conversations and leisure activities.
- A nursery is a room in a house prepared for the care and upbringing of a baby or young child.
- Nurseries are often decorated with cribs, changing tables, and colorful decor to create a welcoming and safe environment for infants.
- Parents spend time in the nursery taking care of their baby's needs and creating a loving atmosphere.
- A study is a room in a house or office where people can focus on reading, work, research, and other intellectual activities.
- Studies often contain a desk, bookshelves, and comfortable seating for concentrated work or study sessions.
- Having a well-organized study can promote productivity and a quiet place to think.
- An attic is the space at the top of a house, typically located directly below the roof, often used for storage or as an extra room.
- Some people convert their attics into bedrooms, home offices, or playrooms, making good use of the available space.
- Proper insulation is essential in an attic to regulate temperature and prevent heat loss or excessive heat gain.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.