(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Nuts and Seeds
Learn Different Types of Nuts and Seeds in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn common English words for different types of nuts and seeds. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "nuts and seeds" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "nuts and seeds" category:
- walnut, acorn, almond, brazil nut, cashew, chestnut, coconut, hazelnut, macadamia, nutmeg, peanut, pecan, pine nut, pistachio, pumpkin seed, sunflower seed
- A walnut is a type of nut that has a hard shell and a tasty, edible kernel inside.
- Walnuts are often used in baking and cooking, adding a rich and nutty flavor to dishes.
- You can crack open a walnut to access the delicious nutmeat inside.
- An acorn is a small, round nut that comes from oak trees.
- Acorns are an important food source for some animals, like squirrels.
- With patience, you can grow a new oak tree from an acorn by planting it in the ground.
- An almond is a small, oval-shaped nut with a delicate flavor.
- Almonds are often used in both sweet and savory dishes, as well as for making almond milk.
- Some people enjoy almonds as a healthy snack.
- A brazil nut is a large and rich-flavored nut that comes from the brazil nut tree.
- Brazil nuts are known for their smooth texture and are often enjoyed as a snack or used in desserts.
- These nuts are a good source of selenium, a mineral that's important for our health.
- A cashew is a kidney-shaped nut that's often used in cooking and snacking.
- Cashews are known for their creamy taste and are used to make cashew butter and cashew milk.
- You can eat cashews roasted, salted, or as an ingredient in various dishes.
- A chestnut is a nut that comes from the chestnut tree and has a sweet and starchy taste.
- Chestnuts are often roasted and enjoyed during the holiday season.
- In some cultures, chestnuts are used in stuffing for roasted meats.
- A coconut is a large and round fruit with a hard outer shell and sweet, white flesh inside.
- Coconuts are used to make coconut milk, coconut oil, and a variety of tropical dishes.
- Some people enjoy the refreshing taste of coconut water found inside young coconuts.
- A hazelnut is a small, round nut with a rich and nutty flavor.
- Hazelnuts are often used in desserts like chocolate hazelnut spread and pralines.
- You can also find hazelnuts in some coffee blends for added flavor.
- A macadamia is a round and creamy nut native to Australia.
- Macadamia nuts are often used in baking and enjoyed as a snack.
- These nuts have a rich, buttery taste that many people find delightful.
- Nutmeg is a spice made from the seed of the nutmeg tree, and it has a warm and aromatic flavor.
- It's commonly used in both sweet and savory dishes, such as pumpkin pie and creamy sauces.
- A little goes a long way with nutmeg because of its strong flavor.
- A peanut is a small, oval-shaped nut that grows underground.
- Peanuts are a popular snack and are also used to make peanut butter.
- They can be eaten roasted, salted, or as an ingredient in various recipes.
- A pecan is a type of nut that's native to North America and often used in pies and desserts.
- Pecans have a sweet and buttery flavor that pairs well with sugary treats.
- Some people enjoy pecans as a topping for salads or oatmeal.
- A pine nut is a small, elongated nut that comes from pine trees.
- Pine nuts are used in a variety of dishes, including pesto sauce and Mediterranean salads.
- They have a delicate, slightly sweet taste.
- A pistachio is a small, green nut with a slightly sweet and salty flavor.
- Pistachios are often enjoyed as a snack, and you can crack open their shells to access the nut inside.
- They are also used in desserts, like pistachio ice cream.
- Pumpkin seeds are the edible seeds found inside pumpkins, often referred to as pepitas.
- They can be roasted and seasoned for a crunchy snack or used as a garnish in salads and soups.
- Pumpkin seeds are a good source of nutrients like zinc and magnesium.
- A sunflower seed is the small seed found in the center of a sunflower's head.
- Sunflower seeds can be eaten on their own, added to granola, or used as a topping on yogurt.
- They are often enjoyed for their nutty flavor and crunchy texture.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.