(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Kitchen Utensils
Learn Common Kitchen Utensils in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn English words for tool and utensils found in the kitchen. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "kitchen utensils" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "kitchen utensils" category:
- tongs, whisk, wooden spoon, blender, chopping board, electric whisk, frying pan, juicer, kettle, knife, ladle, measuring spoons, mixer, pestle and mortar, pot, rolling pin, toaster
- Tongs are kitchen tools with two arms and a hinge, used for picking up and gripping food.
- Chefs often use tongs to flip meat on a grill or remove items from hot water.
- Tongs can come in various sizes and are usually made of metal or plastic.
- A whisk is a kitchen utensil with wire loops used for stirring, beating, and mixing ingredients.
- Cooks use a whisk to incorporate air into batters and make them smooth and fluffy.
- There are different types of whisks, including balloon whisks and flat whisks, for various cooking tasks.
- A wooden spoon is a cooking tool made of wood, often used for stirring and mixing in pots and pans.
- Many chefs prefer using a wooden spoon because it doesn't scratch nonstick cookware.
- Wooden spoons come in different shapes and sizes, suitable for various culinary needs.
- A blender is an electric appliance used to puree, mix, and blend ingredients into smooth liquids or purees.
- You can use a blender to make smoothies, soups, sauces, and even crushed ice drinks.
- Blenders typically have a motorized base and a removable jar or container with sharp blades at the bottom.
- A chopping board is a flat surface, often made of wood or plastic, used for cutting and chopping food.
- Chefs place ingredients on a chopping board to prepare them before cooking.
- It's important to keep chopping boards clean to prevent cross-contamination between different foods.
- An electric whisk is a kitchen appliance that automates the process of whipping and beating ingredients.
- Cooks use an electric whisk to quickly and efficiently mix batters, creams, and egg whites.
- Electric whisks come with different speed settings for precise control over mixing.
- A frying pan is a flat, shallow cooking pan with a long handle, used for frying and sautéing food.
- Chefs heat oil or butter in a frying pan to cook foods like eggs, vegetables, and meats.
- Nonstick frying pans make it easier to flip and remove food without sticking.
- A juicer is a kitchen device designed to extract juice from fruits and vegetables.
- People use a juicer to make fresh and healthy fruit or vegetable juices at home.
- There are manual and electric juicers, with electric ones being more efficient for larger quantities.
- A kettle is a small appliance used to boil water quickly, often for making tea, coffee, or hot beverages.
- People fill the kettle with water, plug it in, and wait for it to whistle or automatically turn off when the water is boiling.
- Electric kettles are common in kitchens for their convenience and speed.
- A knife is a sharp cutting tool with a blade, used for slicing, dicing, and chopping food.
- Chefs use different types of knives for various kitchen tasks, such as a chef's knife for general cutting and a paring knife for precision work.
- It's important to handle knives carefully and keep them sharp for safe and efficient cooking.
- A ladle is a large spoon with a long handle, often used for serving soups, stews, and sauces.
- Cooks use a ladle to scoop liquids from pots and pour them into bowls or plates.
- Ladles come in various sizes to accommodate different serving needs.
- Measuring spoons are kitchen utensils with specific measurements, used to accurately portion ingredients like spices and liquids.
- Cooks use measuring spoons to follow recipes and ensure the right balance of flavors in their dishes.
- Common measurements on measuring spoons include teaspoons and tablespoons.
- A mixer is an electric kitchen appliance used for mixing and beating ingredients in baking and cooking.
- Cooks use a mixer to blend ingredients for cake batter, cookie dough, and frosting.
- Mixers often come with attachments like beaters and dough hooks for different mixing tasks.
pestle and mortar
- A pestle and mortar are kitchen tools used for grinding and crushing herbs, spices, and other ingredients.
- Chefs often use a pestle to crush items in the mortar, creating fresh flavors and textures in dishes.
- These tools have been used for centuries in various cuisines around the world.
- A pot is a deep, round cooking container with a lid, used for boiling, simmering, and stewing food.
- Cooks use pots to prepare soups, pasta, and one-pot dishes like chili and stew.
- Pots come in different sizes, with larger ones for cooking larger quantities of food.
- A rolling pin is a cylindrical tool with handles on both ends, used to flatten and shape dough for baking.
- Bakers roll out cookie dough, pie crusts, and bread dough with a rolling pin to achieve even thickness.
- Some rolling pins are made of wood, while others are made of marble or stainless steel.
- A toaster is a kitchen appliance used to toast bread and other items like bagels and English muffins.
- People place slices of bread in the toaster, and it heats them until they become crispy and brown.
- Toasters often have adjustable settings to control the degree of toasting.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.