(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Jobs
Learn Common Jobs in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn common jobs and occupations in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "jobs" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "jobs" category:
- traffic controller, waiter, baker, builder, chef, dentist, doctor, farmer, firefighter, lawyer, nurse, personal trainer, police officer, project manager, scientist, server
- The traffic controller waved their arms to guide the cars safely through the intersection.
- During the parade, the traffic controller directed the floats down the main street.
- When there's a road accident, the traffic controller helps manage the flow of vehicles and pedestrians.
- The friendly waiter took our orders and brought us our delicious meals.
- We left a tip for the waiter because he provided excellent service at the restaurant.
- After finishing our dinner, the waiter brought us the dessert menu to choose from.
- The aroma of freshly baked bread from the baker's shop filled the entire neighborhood.
- Every morning, the baker wakes up early to prepare a variety of pastries and loaves of bread.
- My favorite treat from the baker is the warm, soft pretzel with a sprinkle of salt.
- The builder constructed a beautiful new house in our neighborhood.
- During the construction project, the builder oversaw a team of skilled workers.
- We hired a builder to renovate our kitchen and make it more modern.
- The talented chef prepared a gourmet meal for us at the fancy restaurant.
- My mom is an amazing chef who can whip up delicious dishes from different cuisines.
- Aspiring to become a professional chef, he enrolled in culinary school to learn cooking techniques.
- I have a dentist appointment tomorrow to get my teeth checked and cleaned.
- The dentist used a tiny mirror to examine my teeth and check for cavities.
- After the dental checkup, the dentist gave me a new toothbrush and toothpaste.
- The doctor listened to my heartbeat with a stethoscope during the checkup.
- When I was sick, the doctor prescribed medicine to help me get better.
- My mom took me to the doctor for a vaccination to protect me from getting sick.
- The farmer woke up early to tend to the animals and crops on the farm.
- We visited a farmer's market and bought fresh fruits and vegetables directly from the farmers.
- Living in the countryside, the farmer enjoys a peaceful and simple life.
- When there's a fire, the firefighter rushes to the scene to extinguish the flames and save lives.
- We appreciate the bravery of our local firefighters who protect our community.
- Fire drills help children learn what to do in case of an emergency and how to call 911 for firefighters' help.
- The lawyer presented a strong argument in court to defend their client.
- She aspires to become a successful lawyer and help people with legal issues.
- During a trial, the lawyer questioned the witnesses to gather evidence.
- The nurse takes care of patients in the hospital and administers their medications.
- My aunt is a kind-hearted nurse who always offers comfort to her patients.
- When I had a fever, the nurse brought me a cool cloth to soothe my forehead.
- With the help of a personal trainer, I've been working on improving my strength and fitness.
- The personal trainer created a customized workout plan to help me achieve my fitness goals.
- During the fitness class, the personal trainer encouraged us to push ourselves and reach our limits.
- The police officer patrolled the streets to ensure our safety.
- We learned that it's important to respect police officers and follow their instructions.
- If you ever need help, you can approach a police officer for assistance.
- The project manager coordinated all the tasks to ensure the project was completed on time.
- She's known for her excellent organizational skills as a project manager.
- As a project manager, he communicates with the team to keep everyone on the same page.
- The scientist conducted experiments in the laboratory to make new discoveries.
- We admire the curiosity of young scientists who explore the mysteries of the natural world.
- Through their research, scientists contribute to our understanding of the universe.
- The friendly server at the restaurant took our food orders and brought us drinks.
- After enjoying a delicious meal, we left a tip for the server as a token of appreciation.
- She worked as a server during her summer break to earn some extra money.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.