(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Instruments
Learn Instruments in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn common musical instruments in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "instruments" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "instruments" category:
- saxophone, trombone, trumpet, tuba, violin, xylophone, accordion, banjo, bell, cello, clarinet, double bass, drum, electric guitar, french horn, guitar, harmonica, harp, keyboard, maracas, piano, recorder
- The saxophone is a musical instrument that is played by blowing air into it and using keys to produce different notes.
- Saxophones are commonly used in jazz, classical, and contemporary music.
- Learning to play the saxophone can be a rewarding musical experience.
- The trombone is a brass instrument with a long slide that allows the player to change the pitch of the notes.
- Orchestras and marching bands often include trombones for their rich and resonant sound.
- Learning to play the trombone requires mastering the slide technique.
- The trumpet is a brass instrument known for its bright and powerful sound.
- Trumpets are commonly used in various genres of music, including classical, jazz, and marching band music.
- Many famous musicians have showcased their talents through the trumpet.
- The tuba is a large brass instrument with a deep and resonant tone.
- It plays a crucial role in providing the bassline and foundation in brass bands and orchestras.
- Tubas come in various sizes and shapes, with the sousaphone being a popular choice in marching bands.
- The violin is a string instrument that is played with a bow, creating beautiful and expressive melodies.
- It is an essential instrument in classical music, and virtuoso violinists are celebrated for their skill.
- Learning to play the violin often involves years of practice and dedication.
- The xylophone is a percussion instrument consisting of wooden bars that are struck with mallets to produce musical tones.
- Xylophones are commonly used in orchestras, as well as in educational settings to teach music to children.
- Playing the xylophone requires good hand-eye coordination and rhythm.
- The accordion is a portable musical instrument that produces sound by squeezing and expanding a bellows while pressing buttons or keys.
- Accordions are used in a variety of musical styles, including folk, polka, and traditional music.
- Skilled accordion players can create lively and engaging performances.
- The banjo is a string instrument with a distinctive twangy sound, often associated with bluegrass and folk music.
- Players pluck or strum the strings with their fingers or a pick to create melodies and rhythms.
- Banjos are featured in many songs that celebrate the spirit of American folk music.
- A bell is a percussion instrument that produces sound when struck with a clapper or a mallet.
- Bells come in various sizes, from small handbells to large church bells.
- Bells are used in music, religious ceremonies, and as signals in various contexts.
- The cello is a string instrument played with a bow, known for its deep and resonant tones.
- It is an integral part of orchestras and chamber music ensembles.
- Learning to play the cello requires developing finger dexterity and bowing technique.
- The clarinet is a woodwind instrument that produces sound by blowing air through a reed attached to a mouthpiece.
- It is commonly used in classical music, jazz, and various other genres.
- Many musicians appreciate the versatility and expressive qualities of the clarinet.
- The double bass is the largest and lowest-pitched member of the string instrument family.
- It provides the deep bass foundation in orchestras and jazz ensembles.
- Double bassists use a bow or their fingers to play the instrument's strings.
- A drum is a percussion instrument that produces sound when struck with sticks, mallets, or hands.
- Drums are essential in rhythm sections and are used in various musical genres, including rock, pop, and world music.
- Drummers play a crucial role in setting the beat and rhythm of a musical piece.
- An electric guitar is a string instrument that uses electromagnetic pickups to amplify its sound through an amplifier.
- Electric guitars are commonly used in rock, blues, and many other contemporary music styles.
- Players can create a wide range of sounds and effects using electric guitars.
- The French horn is a brass instrument known for its unique shape and rich, mellow tones.
- It is an integral part of orchestras and is also featured in chamber music and brass ensembles.
- Learning to play the French horn requires developing strong embouchure and breath control.
- The guitar is a versatile string instrument played by plucking or strumming its strings.
- Guitars are used in various music genres, from classical to rock, and are popular among beginners and experienced musicians alike.
- Many famous songs are accompanied by the guitar, making it a widely loved instrument.
- The harmonica is a small wind instrument that is played by blowing and drawing air through reeds.
- It is known for its distinctive sound and is often used in blues, folk, and country music.
- Playing the harmonica involves creating melodies by manipulating the airflow and using techniques like bending notes.
- The harp is a string instrument known for its elegant appearance and soothing, ethereal tones.
- It is often used in classical and orchestral music, as well as in various cultural traditions.
- Harpists use their fingers to pluck the strings and create beautiful melodies.
- A keyboard refers to a musical instrument that features a set of keys that produce different musical notes.
- Keyboards include instruments like pianos, synthesizers, and electronic keyboards.
- Learning to play the keyboard allows musicians to explore a wide range of sounds and styles.
- Maracas are percussion instruments consisting of hollow balls or gourds filled with seeds or beads.
- They are shaken to create rhythmic and shaking sounds, often used in Latin and Caribbean music.
- Maracas are a fun instrument to play, adding a lively and festive element to music.
- The piano is a versatile keyboard instrument that produces sound by striking strings with hammers.
- It is a fundamental instrument in classical, jazz, and contemporary music.
- Learning to play the piano is a popular choice for many aspiring musicians.
- The recorder is a woodwind instrument with a simple and melodious sound.
- It is often used in music education and is a common choice for beginners learning to play wind instruments.
- Playing the recorder involves covering and uncovering finger holes to produce different notes.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.