(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Movie Genres
Learn Movie and Book Genres in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn common types of movie genres in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "genres" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "genres" category:
- western, action, adventure, comedy, crime, drama, fantasy, gore, historical drama, horror, musical, mystery, romance, romantic comedy, science fiction
- He enjoys watching western movies with cowboys and shootouts.
- She read a western novel set in the Old West during her summer vacation.
- They decided to have a western theme for their costume party.
- She loves the excitement and adrenaline rush of action movies.
- He watched an action film featuring daring stunts and car chases.
- They enjoy playing video games that involve action and adventure.
- He dreams of going on an adventure to explore uncharted territories.
- She and her friends planned an adventure to hike in the mountains.
- They watched a thrilling adventure documentary about deep-sea exploration.
- She enjoys watching comedy shows that make her laugh.
- He went to a comedy club to see stand-up comedians perform.
- They decided to have a comedy movie night with their favorite humorous films.
- He finds crime dramas intriguing and likes to solve mysteries.
- She read a thrilling crime novel about a detective solving a murder case.
- They enjoy watching crime series that involve solving complex crimes.
- She appreciates drama films that explore deep emotions and relationships.
- He watched a powerful drama about the challenges of a struggling family.
- They attended a live drama performance at the theater.
- He loves reading fantasy novels with magical worlds and mythical creatures.
- She watched a fantasy movie set in a land of wizards and dragons.
- They enjoy playing video games that transport them to fantasy realms.
- She doesn't like gore in movies and prefers lighter genres.
- He accidentally watched a gore-filled horror film and couldn't sleep afterward.
- They decided to skip the gore and opt for a more family-friendly movie night.
- She enjoys historical drama films that transport her to different time periods.
- He watched a gripping historical drama based on real events from the past.
- They visited a museum to learn more about the history depicted in historical dramas.
- He loves the thrill of watching horror movies, especially during Halloween.
- She watched a horror film that kept her on the edge of her seat with suspense.
- They decided to have a horror movie marathon with their friends.
- She enjoys musical films with catchy songs and dance numbers.
- He and his family watched a classic musical featuring a talented cast.
- They attended a live musical performance at the theater.
- She is a fan of mystery novels and enjoys solving puzzles in the stories.
- He watched a gripping mystery series that kept him guessing until the end.
- They decided to host a mystery party where guests play detective to solve a fictional crime.
- She loves reading romance novels that feature heartfelt love stories.
- He watched a romance film that made him feel warm and fuzzy inside.
- They enjoy going on romantic dates and spending quality time together.
- She finds romantic comedies entertaining because they combine love and humor.
- He and his friends had a movie night and chose to watch a romantic comedy.
- They appreciate the lightheartedness of romantic comedies for a fun movie night.
- He is fascinated by science fiction books that explore futuristic technology and alien worlds.
- She watched a mind-bending science fiction movie that challenged her imagination.
- They enjoy discussing the possibilities of real-life advancements inspired by science fiction.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.