English Vocabulary for Flowers
Learn Common Flowers in EnglishThe tests and the video in this lesson will help you learn the names of common flowers in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word. Here is a video for learning the names of 10 common flowers in English. video lesson
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "flowers" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
Create Your Own Version of This Game
Here is the word library for this game:
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "flowers" category:
- poppy, rose, snowdrop, sunflower, tulip, water lily, bluebell, cherry blossom, chrysanthemum, crocus, daffodil, daisy, dandelion, geranium, hyacinth, iris, lily, lotus, orchid, pansy, peony
- A poppy is a colorful flower that can be bright red, orange, or even purple.
- Poppies are often seen in fields, and they have delicate petals that dance in the breeze.
- In some places, poppies are a symbol of remembrance for soldiers who fought in wars.
- The rose is a beautiful flower with a sweet fragrance, and it comes in many different colors.
- On Valentine's Day, people often give each other roses as a symbol of love and affection.
- Roses are used in bouquets and arrangements to add elegance and charm.
- A snowdrop is a small white flower that blooms in late winter or early spring, even in the snow.
- Snowdrops are a sign that spring is on its way, and they bring hope and renewal.
- People love to see the first snowdrops peeking through the frozen ground.
- The sunflower is a tall and cheerful flower known for its bright yellow petals and a dark center.
- Sunflowers follow the sun's movement across the sky, which is why they're called "sunflowers."
- Sunflowers can grow very tall, and their seeds can be eaten or used to make sunflower oil.
- The tulip is a lovely flower that comes in various colors and is often associated with spring.
- Tulips are planted in gardens and parks, creating colorful displays when they bloom.
- In some countries, tulips are a symbol of beauty and are given as gifts.
- A water lily is a delicate flower that floats on the surface of ponds and calm waters.
- Water lilies have round, flat leaves and beautiful, fragrant blossoms.
- Some frogs like to sit on water lilies and bask in the sun near the water's edge.
- A bluebell is a wildflower with drooping, bell-shaped flowers that are usually blue or purple.
- Bluebells often carpet the forest floor in spring, creating a magical and colorful sight.
- Walking through a woodland filled with bluebells is a special experience.
- The cherry blossom is a delicate pink or white flower that blooms on cherry trees in spring.
- In Japan, the cherry blossom season is celebrated with picnics and festivals called hanami.
- When the cherry blossoms fall like snow, it's a beautiful but fleeting moment of nature's beauty.
- The chrysanthemum is a vibrant flower with a variety of shapes and colors, often used in gardens and floral arrangements.
- Chrysanthemums are a symbol of autumn and are associated with longevity and joy.
- Some people grow chrysanthemums as a hobby and enter them in flower shows and competitions.
- The crocus is a small but lovely flower that blooms in early spring and is one of the first signs of the season.
- Crocuses can be purple, yellow, or white, and they often pop up through the snow.
- Kids love to spot the colorful crocuses as winter turns into spring.
- The daffodil is a bright yellow flower with a trumpet-shaped center, and it's a symbol of hope and new beginnings.
- Daffodils are often planted in gardens and parks, and they bloom in early spring.
- Daffodils are sometimes called "jonquils" or "narcissus."
- The daisy is a simple and cheerful flower with white petals and a yellow center.
- Daisies are often used in flower crowns, and kids love to make daisy chains.
- People sometimes play the game "He loves me, he loves me not" by plucking daisy petals.
- A dandelion is a common yellow flower that turns into a fluffy white seed head when it's ready to spread its seeds.
- Kids like to blow on dandelions to make a wish as the seeds float away in the breeze.
- Some people use dandelion leaves in salads or make tea from the roots.
- The geranium is a colorful and fragrant flower that's often grown in pots or gardens.
- Geraniums can be red, pink, or white, and they bloom throughout the summer.
- Some people enjoy the scent of geranium leaves and use them in potpourri.
- A hyacinth is a fragrant flower with small, bell-shaped blooms that come in various colors.
- The sweet scent of hyacinths fills the air in spring gardens.
- People often plant hyacinth bulbs in the fall, and they bloom in early spring.
- The iris is a stunning flower with intricate, petal-like parts called "falls" and "standards."
- Irises can be purple, blue, yellow, or white, and they're known for their unique shape.
- Irises are often seen in gardens and are the state flower of Tennessee.
- The lily is a graceful and elegant flower with large, trumpet-shaped blooms.
- Lilies come in various colors, including white, pink, and orange, and they're used in bouquets and floral arrangements.
- Lilies are often associated with purity and renewal.
- The lotus is a beautiful water plant with large, round leaves and stunning, floating flowers.
- Lotus flowers can be pink, white, or yellow, and they have spiritual significance in some cultures.
- People often find lotus flowers in ponds and marshy areas.
- The orchid is an exotic and elegant flower known for its intricate and often colorful blooms.
- People sometimes grow orchids indoors as houseplants, and they require special care.
- Orchids are often given as gifts to convey love and admiration.
- The pansy is a charming flower with delicate petals and a "face" in the center.
- Pansies come in various colors and are often planted in gardens and window boxes.
- Kids enjoy the cheerful appearance of pansies and might use them in art and crafts.
- The peony is a lush and fragrant flower with big, fluffy petals that come in shades of pink, red, and white.
- Peonies are popular in weddings and bridal bouquets due to their romantic and elegant appearance.
- Gardening enthusiasts often look forward to the peony blooming season in late spring.