English Vocabulary for Farm
Learn Common Farm-Related Words in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn common farming words in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "farm" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
Create Your Own Version of This Game
Here is the word library for this game:
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "farm" category:
- sheep, silo, stable, tractor, well, barn, chicken, coop, cow, donkey, duck, farmer, farmhouse, field, goat, hay, horse, pen, pig, pitchfork, scarecrow
- A sheep is a fluffy animal with woolly fur, and they are often found on farms.
- Sheep provide us with wool, which can be turned into warm sweaters and blankets.
- Farmers take care of their sheep by feeding them and making sure they have a safe place to sleep.
- A silo is a tall structure on a farm used to store grains like corn or wheat.
- Farmers fill the silo with harvested crops, and it keeps the grains dry and protected from pests.
- When it's time to feed the animals, farmers can use the grains stored in the silo.
- A stable is a building on a farm where horses are kept and cared for.
- Stables have stalls where each horse has its own space to eat and rest.
- Farmers and horse riders make sure the stable is clean and comfortable for the horses.
- A tractor is a powerful farm vehicle used for tasks like plowing fields and pulling heavy loads.
- Tractors have big wheels and are essential for many farm activities.
- Farmers drive tractors to plant crops and do other important jobs around the farm.
- A well is a deep hole dug in the ground to reach clean and fresh water.
- Farmers and animals rely on the water from the well to stay hydrated.
- It's important to keep the area around the well clean to prevent contamination of the water.
- A barn is a large building on a farm used to store hay, equipment, and sometimes to house animals like cows and horses.
- Barns often have a distinctive red color and a sloped roof.
- Farmers use the barn to keep things organized and sheltered from the weather.
- A chicken is a bird often found on farms, and they lay eggs that people can eat.
- Some farms raise chickens for their meat, and others keep them for their eggs.
- Children enjoy watching chickens pecking at grains in the yard.
- A coop is a small shelter where chickens are kept safe from predators and where they lay eggs.
- Farmers collect eggs from the coop and provide food and water for the chickens.
- Coops come in different sizes and designs, but they all serve as a cozy home for chickens.
- A cow is a large farm animal that provides milk and meat.
- Cows are often seen grazing in fields, munching on grass.
- Some farmers use cows to plow fields, and they are essential to many dairy farms.
- A donkey is a sturdy and gentle animal that helps with tasks on some farms.
- Donkeys can carry heavy loads and are often used to transport goods or pull carts.
- Children might enjoy riding on the back of a friendly donkey on a farm visit.
- A duck is a waterfowl often found in ponds and on farms.
- Ducks have webbed feet, which make them excellent swimmers.
- Some farmers keep ducks for their eggs or meat, while others enjoy watching them in ponds.
- A farmer is a person who works on a farm, taking care of animals and growing crops.
- Farmers wake up early in the morning to tend to their chores and fields.
- We depend on farmers to produce the food we eat, like fruits, vegetables, and grains.
- A farmhouse is the house where the farmer and their family live on the farm.
- Farmhouses are often cozy and surrounded by fields and barns.
- Some farmhouses have a welcoming porch where you can sit and enjoy the view.
- A field is a large open area on a farm where crops like wheat, corn, or soybeans are grown.
- Farmers plant seeds in the field and take care of the crops as they grow.
- Children might enjoy running and playing in an empty field.
- A goat is a farm animal known for its playful nature and for producing milk and cheese.
- Goats can climb and jump, making them quite agile and entertaining to watch.
- Farmers often keep goats in a pen and provide them with hay and water.
- Hay is dried grass or straw used as food for farm animals like cows, horses, and goats.
- Farmers cut and dry grass in the summer to make hay bales that can be stored for the winter.
- Animals munch on hay to stay healthy and full.
- A horse is a strong and graceful animal that's often used for riding, pulling carts, and working on farms.
- Horses come in various breeds, each with its unique characteristics and abilities.
- Some farmers rely on horses to plow fields or transport goods.
- A pen is an enclosed area on a farm where animals like pigs, goats, or sheep are kept.
- Farmers use pens to provide shelter and safety for the animals.
- Children might visit a farm and see animals in their pens.
- A pig is a farm animal often raised for its meat, known as pork.
- Pigs are intelligent animals that enjoy rolling in the mud to keep cool.
- Farmers feed and take care of pigs until they are ready to be processed into pork products.
- A pitchfork is a farm tool with long prongs used to lift and toss hay or straw.
- Farmers use pitchforks to move and distribute food for their animals.
- You might see a pitchfork leaning against a barn wall on a farm.
- A scarecrow is a stuffed figure placed in fields to scare away birds and protect crops.
- Scarecrows often wear old clothes and a hat, and they stand tall to deter birds from landing.
- Kids sometimes make scarecrows as a fun craft project.