(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Directions
Learn Directions in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn ways of giving directions in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "directions" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "directions" category:
- east, go down, go past, go straight on, go through, go up, left, north, right, south, turn left, turn right, west, cross
- The sun rises in the east every morning.
- If you walk east, you'll reach the beach.
- We need to head east to get to the park.
- To reach the basement, you need to go down the stairs.
- If you go down the hill, you'll find a beautiful stream.
- Remember to hold the railing when you go down the escalator.
- If you go past the store, you'll find the library on your left.
- We need to go past the park before we reach the school.
- Don't forget to go past the grocery store to buy some milk.
go straight on
- To reach the museum, just go straight on from here.
- If you go straight on down this road, you'll reach the city center.
- Keep walking and go straight on until you see the big red building.
- To get to the park, you'll need to go through the tunnel.
- We have to go through the forest to reach the camping site.
- After you go through the gate, you'll find yourself in the garden.
- Let's go up the stairs to the second floor.
- If you go up the hill, you'll have a great view of the city.
- We need to go up the elevator to reach the rooftop terrace.
- To get to the park, turn left at the traffic light.
- If you turn left at the corner, you'll find the bakery on your right.
- We need to make a left turn to get to the movie theater.
- The compass needle points to the north.
- If you head north, you'll eventually reach the Arctic Circle.
- The north star is used by travelers to find their way at night.
- At the intersection, turn right to reach the supermarket.
- If you turn right on this street, you'll find a lovely cafe.
- We need to make a right turn to get to the park entrance.
- The South Pole is located in the south of the Earth.
- If you head south, you'll eventually reach warmer climates.
- The sun sets in the south in the evening.
- When you reach the end of the street, remember to turn left.
- If you want to find the library, you should turn left at the corner.
- Don't forget to turn left after you pass the blue house.
- To get to the park, you'll need to turn right at the next intersection.
- If you turn right on this street, you'll reach the shopping district.
- We should turn right when we see the big red sign.
- The sun sets in the west in the evening.
- If you head west, you'll eventually reach the coast.
- We need to go west to find the hiking trail.
- Wait for the green light before you cross the busy street.
- We need to cross the river to reach the other side.
- Look both ways before you cross the road.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.