(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Colors
Learn Colors in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn colors in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "colors" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "colors" category:
- black, blue, brown, gray, green, navy, orange, peach, pink, purple, red, teal, white, yellow
- Black is the darkest color, and it looks like the night sky without stars.
- Many people choose to wear black clothes because it goes well with almost anything.
- We used a black marker to draw a bold outline around the picture.
- Blue is the color of the sky on a clear day, and it's often associated with calmness.
- I love to wear a bright blue sweater when it's chilly outside.
- We painted the walls of our bedroom a soothing shade of blue.
- Brown is the color of tree bark and earth, and it can give a warm feeling to a room.
- My favorite teddy bear is brown and cuddly.
- We mixed red and green to create a rich shade of brown for our art project.
- Gray is a neutral color that's a mix of black and white, often seen in rainy clouds.
- We painted the fence a soft shade of gray to match the house.
- His cat has beautiful gray fur that shimmers in the sunlight.
- Green is the color of grass and leaves, and it represents nature and growth.
- We planted colorful flowers in the green garden to make it more vibrant.
- I like to eat crunchy, fresh green apples as a snack.
- Navy is a dark blue color often used in clothing, especially for uniforms.
- The sailors on the ship wear navy blue uniforms.
- We bought a cozy navy blanket to keep us warm during the winter.
- Orange is a bright and cheerful color that looks like the color of a ripe orange fruit.
- The sunset painted the sky with beautiful shades of orange and pink.
- I wore an orange shirt to the summer picnic because it's a happy color.
- Peach is a soft and gentle color that resembles the skin of a peach fruit.
- We decorated the nursery with peach curtains and bedding for our baby.
- She picked a bouquet of delicate peach roses for her friend's birthday.
- Pink is a lovely color that can range from pale to bright, often associated with flowers.
- Her favorite dress is a pretty shade of pink with a bow on the back.
- We painted the walls of the nursery a soft shade of pink for the baby.
- Purple is a royal and majestic color that combines the energy of red and the calmness of blue.
- The king's robe was a deep shade of purple adorned with gold trim.
- We love the beautiful purple flowers that bloom in our garden every spring.
- Red is a vibrant and energetic color often associated with love and passion.
- My favorite toy car is bright red and goes really fast.
- We decorated the Valentine's Day cards with hearts in shades of red.
- Teal is a beautiful color that's a mix of blue and green, often seen in tropical waters.
- We chose teal as the color theme for our beach-themed party.
- Her room is painted a calming shade of teal that reminds her of the ocean.
- White is a pure and bright color, often associated with snow and purity.
- We dressed up as snowflakes in white costumes for the winter play.
- The white wedding dress was elegant and timeless.
- Yellow is a sunny and cheerful color often associated with happiness.
- The bright yellow sunflower stood tall in the garden.
- My backpack is a vibrant shade of yellow, making it easy to spot in a crowd.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.