(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Birds
Learn Common Birds in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you practise the English names for many common birds. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "birds" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "birds" category:
- sparrow, swan, chicken, dove, duck, flamingo, goose, hoopoe, kiwi, owl, parrot, penguin, pigeon, puffin, robin, seagull
- A sparrow is a small bird that you often see in gardens and parks.
- Sparrows are known for their brown feathers and cheerful chirping.
- I enjoy watching sparrows hop around in search of food.
- A swan is a graceful bird that glides on water with its long neck.
- Swans are often seen in ponds, and they are known for their elegance.
- We saw a beautiful white swan swimming in the lake.
- A chicken is a common farm bird that provides eggs and meat.
- We have a few chickens in our backyard coop.
- My favorite meal is fried chicken, but I also like scrambled eggs.
- A dove is a symbol of peace and is often associated with purity.
- We released doves at the wedding ceremony to symbolize love and harmony.
- The gentle cooing of a dove is a soothing sound in the morning.
- A duck is a water bird with webbed feet that it uses for swimming.
- We like to feed the ducks at the pond with pieces of bread.
- Ducks can be found in both ponds and rivers.
- A flamingo is a tall, pink bird with long legs and a curved neck.
- Flamingos are known for their unique appearance and live in groups near water.
- We saw a flock of flamingos wading in the shallow lake.
- A goose is a bird similar to a duck but larger, and it's known for its distinctive honking sound.
- Geese migrate long distances in V-shaped formations.
- We often see geese flying overhead during the autumn months.
- A hoopoe is a unique-looking bird with a crown of feathers on its head.
- Hoopoes are known for their distinctive calls and beautiful plumage.
- We were lucky to spot a hoopoe perched on a tree branch during our hike.
- A kiwi is a flightless bird native to New Zealand, and it's also the name of a delicious fruit.
- Kiwi birds are known for their small size and brown, fuzzy feathers.
- I tried a tasty kiwi fruit for the first time last summer.
- An owl is a nocturnal bird known for its round face, large eyes, and hooting sound.
- Owls are expert hunters and are often associated with wisdom.
- We heard the haunting call of an owl in the forest at night.
- A parrot is a colorful bird known for its ability to mimic human speech.
- Parrots are often kept as pets and can be very talkative and playful.
- My friend has a parrot that can say funny phrases and songs.
- A penguin is a bird that cannot fly but is an excellent swimmer and lives in cold regions.
- Penguins are known for their distinctive black and white appearance.
- We visited the zoo to see the adorable penguins waddle around on the ice.
- A pigeon is a common city bird often seen in parks and on city streets.
- Pigeons have a cooing sound and come in various colors.
- People sometimes feed pigeons in the park with breadcrumbs.
- A puffin is a seabird known for its colorful beak and ability to dive for fish.
- Puffins are often found on cliffs and rocky shores near the ocean.
- We took a boat tour to see the adorable puffins nesting on the cliffs.
- A robin is a small bird with a red or orange chest and a melodious song.
- Robins are a common sight in gardens, especially during the springtime.
- Every year, we look forward to the return of the robins to our backyard.
- A seagull is a coastal bird often seen near beaches and fishing docks.
- Seagulls are known for their squawking calls and scavenging habits.
- We watched the seagulls swooping down to catch fish from the ocean waves.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.