(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Airport
Learn Common Airport Vocabulary in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn the English words you'd see and use at the airport. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "airport" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "airport" category:
- to take off, window seat, airplane, aisle seat, baggage claim, boarding pass, check-in, cockpit, control tower, flight attendant, gate, life jacket, luggage, overhead locker, passenger, passport, pilot, runway, seatbelt, security, terminal, to land
to take off
- When the plane is ready, it will take off and soar into the sky.
- Passengers are asked to fasten their seatbelts when the plane is about to take off.
- It's exciting to watch an airplane take off from the runway.
- I prefer the window seat on the plane so I can see the view outside.
- The window seat allows you to gaze at the clouds and landscapes during the flight.
- Do you want the window seat or the aisle seat for our trip?
- An airplane is a flying machine that carries people and cargo through the air.
- People board the airplane at the airport to reach their destinations.
- The airplane has wings and engines that help it fly.
- Some passengers prefer the aisle seat for easy access to the restroom during the flight.
- The aisle seat is located next to the aisle, making it convenient to get up without disturbing others.
- Can you help me find my aisle seat on this crowded plane?
- After landing, passengers go to the baggage claim area to collect their checked luggage.
- The baggage claim carousel rotates, and passengers search for their suitcases.
- Make sure to check the monitor for your flight's baggage claim carousel number.
- You need to show your boarding pass and identification to board the plane.
- Don't forget to print or download your boarding pass before heading to the airport.
- The boarding pass contains important information about your flight, like the seat assignment and gate number.
- Passengers must check-in at the airline counter or online before the flight.
- The check-in process involves verifying your identity and getting your boarding pass.
- We should arrive at the airport early to allow time for check-in and security checks.
- The cockpit is where the pilot and co-pilot sit to control the airplane.
- Only authorized personnel are allowed to enter the cockpit during the flight.
- Pilots use various instruments in the cockpit to navigate and communicate with air traffic control.
- The control tower at the airport guides planes during takeoff and landing.
- Air traffic controllers in the control tower communicate with pilots to ensure safe operations.
- The control tower has a panoramic view of the runways and taxiways.
- Flight attendants take care of passengers during the flight, serving food and drinks.
- Flight attendants also provide safety instructions and assist in emergencies.
- Passengers should follow the instructions given by the flight attendants for a safe journey.
- Passengers can find their departure gate listed on the departure board at the airport.
- Make sure to arrive at the gate well in advance of your flight's boarding time.
- Boarding for Flight 123 will begin at gate C7.
- Life jackets are provided on airplanes for emergency water landings.
- In the event of a water landing, passengers should put on their life jackets before exiting the plane.
- Life jackets help keep passengers afloat and safe in water.
- Passengers are allowed to bring a limited amount of luggage on the plane.
- Luggage includes suitcases, bags, and personal items.
- It's important to label your luggage with your name and contact information.
- Passengers can store their carry-on luggage in the overhead locker above their seats.
- Make sure your luggage fits securely in the overhead locker to prevent accidents during the flight.
- If the overhead locker is full, flight attendants can assist you in finding space for your bag.
- Each passenger has a seat assignment on the plane.
- Passengers should remain seated with their seatbelts fastened during takeoff and landing.
- Flight attendants are here to assist passengers and ensure their comfort.
- A passport is a travel document that allows you to enter and exit countries.
- Don't forget to bring your passport when traveling internationally.
- Passports contain important information about your identity and nationality.
- The pilot is responsible for flying the airplane and ensuring a safe journey.
- Pilots have extensive training and experience in aviation.
- Passengers can have confidence in the skills of their pilot.
- The airplane speeds down the runway during takeoff and lands on it during arrival.
- Runways are long strips of pavement at the airport designed for aircraft operations.
- Each airport has multiple runways to accommodate different types of planes.
- For your safety, please keep your seatbelt fastened while seated during the flight.
- Flight attendants will instruct you to fasten your seatbelt when the plane is taxiing, taking off, and landing.
- If you need assistance with your seatbelt, feel free to ask a flight attendant.
- Security measures at the airport are in place to ensure the safety of all passengers.
- Passengers must go through security screening before entering the boarding area.
- It's essential to follow all security procedures and cooperate with airport staff.
- The terminal is the main building at the airport where passengers check-in, go through security, and wait for their flights.
- Departure and arrival gates are located within the terminal.
- Passengers can find restaurants, shops, and lounges inside the terminal.
- As the airplane descends, it prepares to land at the destination airport.
- Passengers are asked to remain seated with their seatbelts fastened until the plane has come to a complete landing.
- It's always a relief to feel the wheels touch down when the plane is about to land.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.