(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Adjectives (Opposites)
Learn Common Opposites in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you practise adjectives and their opposites in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "adjectives (opposites)" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "adjectives (opposites)" category:
- short, skinny, slow, small, sour, spotless, strong, sweet, transparent, ugly, weak, young, old, bad, beautiful, big, blunt, bright, clean, dark, dirty, distant, empty, fast, fat, filthy, first, full, good, heavy, last, light, long, near, new, noisy, opaque, poor, quiet, rich, sharp
- The short boy couldn't reach the top shelf.
- She wore a short dress to stay cool in the summer.
- It's easier to find clothes for short trips.
- The skinny cat looked for food in the garden.
- He's so skinny that his jeans are loose.
- She prefers a skinny latte with less milk.
- The tortoise is known for being slow but steady.
- He took a slow walk in the park to enjoy the scenery.
- The slow traffic made him late for the meeting.
- They found a small puppy abandoned in the park.
- Her small garden is filled with colorful flowers.
- The small gift box held a precious necklace.
- The lemonade tasted very sour without sugar.
- She made a sour face after trying the bitter medicine.
- The sour green apple made her pucker her lips.
- After cleaning for hours, the kitchen was spotless and shiny.
- They kept their car spotless by washing it every week.
- The spotless white walls made the room look elegant.
- The weightlifter is incredibly strong and can lift heavy barbells.
- His strong grip allowed him to open the stubborn jar.
- Teamwork makes a group strong and successful.
- The cookies she baked were incredibly sweet and delicious.
- She has a sweet tooth and loves eating candy.
- The sweet scent of flowers filled the air in the garden.
- The clear river water is transparent, and you can see the fish swimming.
- Her transparent umbrella allowed her to stay dry in the rain.
- The glass windows are transparent and let in lots of light.
- Despite being ugly to some, the wrinkled dog was adorable to her.
- She thought the old painting was ugly, but others found it fascinating.
- He wore an ugly Christmas sweater for the holiday party.
- After being sick, she felt weak and needed rest.
- He tried his best but had a weak attempt at lifting the heavy box.
- The bridge collapsed because of its weak foundation.
- The young birds just left the nest and are learning to fly.
- She started playing the piano at a very young age.
- The young boy is excited about his first day of school.
- The old tree in the backyard is over a hundred years old.
- They visited an old castle during their vacation in Europe.
- His old grandfather has many interesting stories to tell.
- The weather turned bad when it started raining during their picnic.
- She had a bad day at work because of a difficult project.
- He made a bad decision that led to consequences.
- The sunset over the ocean was absolutely beautiful.
- She wore a beautiful gown to the elegant ball.
- The flowers in the garden created a beautiful and colorful display.
- The elephant is a big and majestic animal.
- They moved to a big city with tall skyscrapers.
- She bought a big cake to celebrate the special occasion.
- The blunt knife couldn't cut the tough meat.
- He used a blunt pencil to draw the picture.
- The blunt scissors made it difficult to trim the paper.
- The stars were incredibly bright in the night sky.
- She wore a bright yellow dress that caught everyone's attention.
- The room was filled with bright sunlight in the morning.
- After cleaning, the house was clean and tidy.
- She used a clean cloth to wipe the dusty table.
- They enjoy the fresh scent of clean laundry.
- The room was dark because the lights were off.
- They went for a walk in the dark forest at night.
- His favorite color is dark blue.
- The children came home from playing outside, and their clothes were dirty.
- She scrubbed the dirty dishes until they were spotless.
- The muddy shoes left dirty footprints on the floor.
- The mountains looked distant in the horizon.
- He missed his distant friends who lived far away.
- They took a distant journey to explore new places.
- The room was completely empty with no furniture.
- She felt empty after finishing her favorite book series.
- The empty glass needed to be refilled with water.
- The cheetah is known for being incredibly fast when it runs.
- He drove fast to catch the last train of the day.
- The computer processor is very fast and efficient.
- The fat squirrel collected nuts for the winter.
- She enjoyed a fat slice of cake at the birthday party.
- He started a diet to lose some fat and get healthier.
- After playing in the mud, their clothes were absolutely filthy.
- They decided to clean the filthy garage over the weekend.
- The kitchen was filthy after cooking a big meal.
- This is her first time visiting the beach.
- The first student to finish the test was very proud.
- He always likes to be the first in line.
- The restaurant was full, so they had to wait for a table.
- Her backpack was full of books and supplies.
- They felt full and satisfied after the big meal.
- The kind gesture showed that he had a good heart.
- She baked good cookies for her friends.
- He gave a good presentation at the conference.
- The box was so heavy that they needed help to carry it.
- His backpack felt heavy with all the books inside.
- She lifted the heavy dumbbells during her workout.
- They were the last to leave the party.
- He always finishes his work last because he's a perfectionist.
- The last page of the book had a surprising twist.
- The room was filled with a warm light in the morning.
- She carried a light backpack for her hike in the mountains.
- He preferred a light salad for lunch.
- The long river flows through several countries.
- She took a long journey to explore different cultures.
- His long hair reached down to his shoulders.
- The store is near our house, so we can walk there.
- They found a cozy cafe near the park.
- The bus stop is near the school, making it convenient for students.
- They moved into a new apartment in the city.
- She got a new bicycle for her birthday.
- The new restaurant in town is getting great reviews.
- The noisy neighbors played loud music late at night.
- He put on earmuffs to block out the noisy construction sounds.
- The classroom became noisy when everyone started talking.
- The glass was opaque, and they couldn't see through it.
- They used an opaque curtain to block the sunlight.
- The paint became opaque after it dried on the canvas.
- The poor family struggled to make ends meet.
- He donated money to help support poor children's education.
- She felt fortunate and wanted to help those less poor than her.
- The library is a quiet place to study and read.
- They enjoyed the quiet evening by the peaceful lake.
- He asked his friends to keep the room quiet while he napped.
- The successful businessman became very rich.
- She admired the rich colors in the sunset.
- They shared their rich experiences from their travels.
- The sharp knife made cutting vegetables easy.
- His mind was always sharp and quick to solve problems.
- She wore a sharp suit for the important business meeting.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.