(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
English Vocabulary for Adjectives (Describing Objects)
Learn Common Words for Describing Objects in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn adjectives used to describe objects. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "adjectives things" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "adjectives things" category:
- transparent, big, blunt, bright, clean, colorful, dark, dirty, empty, expensive, filthy, full, hard, new, old, opaque, round, sharp, shiny, small, smelly, soft, spotless, stripy
- The glass jar is transparent, so you can see what's inside.
- The water in the clear bottle looks transparent under the sunlight.
- The plastic wrap is transparent, allowing you to see the food inside.
- The elephant is a big and majestic animal.
- We need a big table to accommodate all our guests for the party.
- The skyscraper in the city is incredibly big and tall.
- The blunt knife couldn't cut through the tough meat.
- We should sharpen the blunt pencils before the exam.
- His scissors became blunt after cutting through cardboard.
- The sun is shining bright in the sky today.
- The stars look so bright in the clear night sky.
- She wore a bright red dress to the party.
- The kitchen is sparkling clean after we cleaned it thoroughly.
- She always keeps her room neat and clean.
- The fresh laundry smells so clean and inviting.
- The garden is filled with colorful flowers in every shade imaginable.
- Her artwork is always so colorful and vibrant.
- We decorated the room with colorful balloons for the birthday party.
- The room became dark when the lights went out.
- The forest is quite dark and mysterious at night.
- His jacket is a dark shade of blue.
- The muddy shoes made the floor dirty.
- We need to wash the dirty dishes after dinner.
- His hands were covered in dirty paint after working on his art project.
- The room felt so empty after all the furniture was moved out.
- The glass was completely empty after she finished her drink.
- The playground was empty on a rainy day.
- The luxury car is very expensive.
- She bought an expensive designer handbag as a treat to herself.
- The restaurant is known for its expensive and exquisite dishes.
- The abandoned house was in a filthy and decrepit state.
- He had to clean the filthy windows that were covered in dirt and grime.
- The kitchen was left in a filthy mess after cooking a big meal.
- The restaurant was packed, and every table was full.
- Her backpack was full of books and school supplies.
- We had a full day of activities during our vacation.
- The rock is too hard to break with just a hammer.
- She works hard to achieve her goals.
- Learning a new language can be hard, but it's rewarding.
- He got a brand new bicycle for his birthday.
- Our neighbors just moved into their new house.
- She bought a new dress for the special occasion.
- The antique clock is very old and valuable.
- They live in a charming old cottage in the countryside.
- His old dog has been his loyal companion for many years.
- The window was opaque, and you couldn't see through it.
- The opaque glass in the bathroom provides privacy.
- The fog made the car's windshield opaque, reducing visibility.
- The table has a round top, perfect for family gatherings.
- The full moon looks perfectly round in the night sky.
- She found a round pebble on the beach and kept it as a souvenir.
- Be careful with that sharp knife; it can cut easily.
- The mountain has many sharp peaks and rugged terrain.
- His wit and humor are known for their sharp and clever remarks.
- Her shoes are so shiny that they reflect the light.
- The polished silver necklace looks incredibly shiny.
- He used a special polish to make his car's paint look shiny and new.
- The puppy is still very small and fits in your hand.
- They live in a cozy small cottage by the lake.
- Her small garden is full of colorful flowers.
- The garbage bin was so smelly that they had to take it out immediately.
- He forgot to put on deodorant, and now he feels smelly after exercising.
- The smelly cheese has a strong odor but tastes delicious.
- The soft pillow is perfect for a good night's sleep.
- Her soft and fluffy sweater keeps her warm in the winter.
- The cat's fur is incredibly soft to the touch.
- After hours of cleaning, the kitchen was spotless and gleaming.
- She takes pride in keeping her car spotless and free from any dirt.
- The hotel room was spotless when they checked in, and it felt inviting.
- He wore a stripy shirt with alternating blue and white stripes.
- The stripy pattern on the wallpaper added a playful touch to the room.
- Her stripy socks were mismatched, but she liked the quirky look.
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.