(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
Hyphens and Dashes in Numbers
Hyphen or Dash?Writers are often unsure whether to use a hyphen (-) or a dash (–) in numbers and dates.
The Quick AnswerUse a hyphen, unless you're giving a to–from range.
- We lived there 1971–1974. (This is a dash, not a hyphen.)
Table of Contents
- Hyphens in Numbers
- Dashes in Numbers
- Printable Test
Hyphens in NumbersHyphens are used in numbers:
(1) When writing numbers in full
- two hundred thirty-two
(2) When writing fractions in full
(3) When dividing long numbers (e.g., serial numbers, telephone numbers)
Dashes in NumbersDashes are used between numbers to show ranges. For example:
- 0800–0900 hrs
- 10–15 minutes
- 100–120 staff
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.