(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
List of Pronouns
75 English PronounsHere is a list of 75 English pronouns. The list is sortable, editable, and printable. It can be displayed as normal text or in columns (up to 4).
Just for fun, we've added game of hangman, which selects a pronoun from this list as the secret word.
Table of Contents
- A Reminder about Pronouns
- The 10 Types of Pronouns in English
- Sortable, Editable, and Printable List
- Learn with Hangman!
A Reminder about PronounsPronouns help us to refer to people, places, or things without always having to repeat their names. A pronoun is a word that takes the place of a noun in a sentence. Using pronouns is a way to make our language more efficient, as we can refer to the same person, place, or thing multiple times without having to repeat their name each time.
The 9 Types of Pronouns in English
1. Personal Pronouns:
- Subject Pronouns: I, you, he, she, it, we, they.
Example: She is my mentor.
- Object Pronouns: me, you, him, her, it, us, them.
Example: They gave the money to me.
2. Demonstrative Pronouns:this, that, these, those.
Example: Give me this.
3. Interrogative Pronouns:who, whom, whose, which, what.
Example: Whose bag is this?
4. Indefinite Pronouns:anybody, anyone, anything, everybody, everyone, everything, nobody, no one, nothing, somebody, someone, something.
Example: Everyone enjoyed the party.
5. Relative Pronouns:who, whom, whose, which, that.
Example: The person who called you is my lawyer.
6. Possessive Pronouns:mine, yours, his, hers, its, ours, theirs.
Example: Is this dog yours?
7. Reciprocal Pronouns:each other, one another.
Example: They love each other.
8. Reflexive Pronouns:myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, yourselves, themselves.
Example: I whispered the answer to myself.
9. Intensive Pronouns:myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, yourselves, themselves.
Example: I myself saw it happen. Read more about the different types of pronoun.
Sortable, Editable, and Printable List
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is always a pronoun from this list. (Choose your first letter to start.)
- Guess the hidden preposition by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden preposition, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden preposition, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.