Data (Singular or Plural?)
The Quick AnswerTreat data as singular. If you need a plural form, use wording like data sets.
Is Data Singular or PluralThe word data is the Latin plural form of datum. However, nowadays, it is treated as a singular noun.
Data Is or Data Are?Here are two definitions for the word data:
(1) Details, facts, and statistics collected for reference or analysis.
(2) Information electrically stored in, operated on, or transmitted by computers.
Data is the plural of datum. In the past (and still in the occasional scientific institution), data was treated as plural. However, nowadays, it is treated as a singular noun. For example:
- My data is corrupted.
- The data is collated by the researchers.
- My data were corrupted. (Strictly speaking, this is not wrong, but it is very outdated.)
- The data are collated by the researchers. (outdated)