Which or Witch?
The Quick AnswerWhat is the difference between which and witch?
Which is used to request or present specifying information. (It can be used as a pronoun or an adjective.)
- Which is best?
- Which team is won?
- They made lasagne, which is my favorite meal.
- Witches are commonly portrayed to have wrinkled skin, pimples, and pointy hats.
WhichThe word which can be used used to request specifying information (i.e., to ask a question) or to give specifying information. When which is used to ask a question, it will be an interrogative pronoun or an interrogative adjective. When it is used to give information, it will be a relative pronoun.
- Which are acceptable? (Here, which is an interrogative pronoun.)
- Which country held last year's contest? (Here, which is an interrogative adjective that modifies country.)
- The front wheel fell off Paul's new car, which he was driving at the time. (Here, which is being used as a relative pronoun.)
- Fortune, which has a great deal of power in other matters but especially in war, can bring about great changes in a situation through very slight forces. (Julius Caesar) (Here, which is being used as a relative pronoun.)
Read more about using commas with which.
WitchThe noun witch denotes a woman who performs magic using spells, potions, and the invocation of spirits.
- Probably the most obvious characteristic of a witch is the ability to cast a spell.
- From 1645–1663, about eighty people throughout England's Massachusetts Bay Colony were accused of being witches.
Interactive ExerciseHere are three randomly selected questions from a larger exercise, which can be edited and printed to create exercise worksheets.
See Alsoadverse or averse? affect or effect? appraise or apprise? avenge or revenge? bare or bear? complement or compliment? dependant or dependent? discreet or discrete? disinterested or uninterested? e.g. or i.e.? envy or jealousy? imply or infer? its or it's? material or materiel? poisonous or venomous? practice or practise? principal or principle? tenant or tenet? who's or whose?
What are nouns? What are relative pronouns? What are interrogative pronouns? What are pronous? List of easily confused words