(ordered by seriousness) ESL Vocabulary Lists Parts of Speech Lists A-Z Idioms and Proverbs Grammar Videos
(ordered by category) Tests and Games Top Tip Install a grammar checker
for your browser
Vain, Vein, or Vane?
What Is the Difference between "Vain," "Vein," and "Vane"?
Vein(noun) "a blood vessel" or "a distinctive style"
- Your leg veins are working well.
- Well done! Continue in the same vein.
Vain(adjective or noun) "self admiring" or "futile."
- You have a lot of mirrors. You're so vain! (adjective)
- I tried in vain to convince her to get back on the horse. (noun) (The term "in vain" means "without success.")
Vane(noun) "a stabilizing fin or blade"
- The weathervane is stuck. (Note that "weathervane" is one word.)
More about "Vein," "Vain," and "Vane"
VeinThe noun "vein" has four main meanings:
The image shows varicose veins in the legs.
(2) A distinctive style or manner.
- Mr. Mellor continued in the same vein despite several reprimands.
The image shows a mineral vein running through a rock.
The image shows veins in an insect's wing
VainThe adjective "vain" means "conceited" or "self admiring." "Vain" can also mean "fruitless." In this meaning, it is often seen as "in vain" meaning "without success" or "in a futile manner."
Example sentences with "vain":
- Petra is so vain. She spends half her time looking in the mirror.
- I tried in vain to pull the boat ashore, but it was just too heavy.
VaneThe noun "vane denotes a blade or a fin usually used to stabilize an object in the air or in water. It is most commonly seen in the word weathervane.
Example sentences with "vane":
- The stabilizing vane has come loose.
- The steel casing protects the vane from damage in the event that the vessel hits the rocks.
The shows a weathervane pointing towards the wind. (Note that "weathervane" is one word.)
Common Terms with the Words "Vain," "Vein," and "Vane"The word "vain" (meaning "futile" or "producing no result") is often seen in the following terms:
- try in vain
- vain attempt
- do something in vain
- vain hope
- vain person
- You're so vain.
- vein blockage
- vein bruise
- vein burst
- vein collapse
- vein cream
- vein graft
- vein infection
- vein in leg
- vein removal
- vein thrombosis
Ready for the Test?
Help Us Improve Grammar Monster
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
Find Us Quicker!
- When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.