Lightening or Lightning?
Lightening or Lightning?What is the difference between "lightening" and "lightning"?
"Lightening" means to make something lighter (in color/colour or weight).
- I'm lightening the bathroom with the leftover white paint.
- Did you see that fork of lightning?
More about Lightening and LightningWriters are often confused between "lightening" and "lightning" due to their similar sounds and spellings.
LighteningThe word "lightening" comes from the verb "to lighten." It means to make something paler in color () / colour () or to reduce something in weight.
- I had to throw away my dress after my failed attempt at lightening it.
- Lightening the sacks will help us move the corn more quickly.
- Making jokes is my brother's way of lightening the mood.
LightningThe noun "lightning" is often seen in the term "thunder and lightning." In other words, "lightning" denotes a flash of light caused by the discharge of electricity in the atmosphere.
- Thunder is good. Thunder is impressive, but it is lightning that does the work. (Writer Mark Twain)
- Electricity is really just organized lightning. (Comedian George Carlin)