Are or Our?
Are or Our?What is the difference between "are" and "our"?
- "Are" is like "am" and "is." For example:
- I am angry.
- She is a good pilot.
- We are happy.
- "Our" means "belonging to us." It is like "my," "your," and "his." For example:
- I like my teacher.
- Take your medicine.
- This is our problem.
Click on the Two Correct Sentences
More about "Are""Are" is from the verb "to be." Here is a table showing where "are" fits among the other verbs "to be" in the simple present tense:
|Pronoun||Person||Verb "To Be" in the Simple Present Tense|
|I||First person singular||am|
|You||Second person singular||are|
|He/She/It||Third person singular||is|
|We||First person plural||are|
|You||Second person plural||are|
|They||Third person plural||are|
Examples Sentences with "Are"Here are some example sentences with "are":
- They are looking forward to Christmas.
- When you are courting a nice girl, an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder, a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. (Physicist Albert Einstein)
- Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese. (Filmmaker Luis Bunuel)
More about "Our""Our" means "belonging to us." "Our" is a possessive determiner. Here is a table showing where "our" fits among the other possessive determiners:
|I||First person singular||my|
|You||Second person singular||your|
|He/She/It||Third person singular||his/her/its|
|We||First person plural||our|
|You||Second person plural||your|
|They||Third person plural||their|
Examples Sentences with "Our"Here are some example sentences with "our":
- This is our dog.
- We love even when our love is not requited. (Philosopher Mortimer Adler)
- All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them. (Entrepreneur Walt Disney)