Collective Noun for Rooks

What Is a Group of Rooks Called?

A group of rooks is called a parliament.
Collective NounUsage
parliamenta parliament of rooks
collective noun for rooks

parliament of rooks

Other Words for a Group of Rooks

While parliament is the most common collective noun for rooks, a group of rooks is also called a building or clamour.

What Type of Word is "Parliament"?

The word "parliament" is a collective noun. A collective noun is a word used to represent a group of people, animals, or things.

"Parliament Is" or "Parliament Are"?

Writers are often unsure whether to treat a collective noun like "parliament" as singular or plural. As a general rule, you should treat a collective noun as singular. However, if the context of your sentence focuses on the individuals within the group, you should treat it as plural. For example:
  • The parliament is moving nearer. correct tick
  • The parliament are moving in different directions. correct tick
Here are 300 more collective nouns for animals.
author logo

This page was written by Craig Shrives.