Collective Noun for Kingfishers

What Is a Group of Kingfishers Called?

A group of kingfishers is called a realm.
Collective NounUsage
realma realm of kingfishers
collective noun for kingfishers

realm of kingfishers

Other Words for a Group of Kingfishers

While realm is the most common collective noun for kingfishers, a group of kingfishers is also called a crown or concentration.

What Type of Word is "Realm"?

The word "realm" is a collective noun. A collective noun is a word used to represent a group of people, animals, or things.

"Realm Is" or "Realm Are"?

Writers are often unsure whether to treat a collective noun like "realm" as singular or plural. As a general rule, you should treat a collective noun as singular. However, if the context of your sentence focuses on the individuals within the group, you should treat it as plural. For example:
  • The realm is moving nearer. correct tick
  • The realm are moving in different directions. correct tick
Here are 300 more collective nouns for animals.

Help Us Improve Grammar Monster

  • Do you disagree with something on this page?
  • Did you spot a typo?

Find Us Quicker!

  • When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add #gm to your search term.