English Vocabulary for Verbs of Movement
Learn Common Verbs of Movement in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn common verbs of movement in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "verbs of movement" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
Create Your Own Version of This Game
Here is the word library for this game:
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "verbs of movement" category:
- tiptoe, trip, walk, wave, bend, carry, cartwheel, catch, clap, crawl, dance, dive, drag, hit, jump, kick, kiss, lean, lie down, lift, pull, punch, push, ride, run, sit, skip, stand, stretch, swim, throw
- When you want to be very quiet, you can tiptoe so that your footsteps are barely heard.
- Children often tiptoe when they want to sneak up on someone during a game.
- He had to tiptoe past the sleeping cat to avoid waking it.
- If you don't watch your step, you might trip and fall.
- She accidentally tripped over the uneven pavement and scraped her knee.
- Be careful not to trip on the rug as you walk across the room.
- We often go for a leisurely walk in the park to enjoy the fresh air.
- After lunch, he likes to take a short walk around the neighborhood to stretch his legs.
- Let's go for a walk together and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
- She likes to wave to her friends when she sees them from a distance.
- When you want to say hello or goodbye, you can wave your hand to someone.
- The children excitedly waved to the passing train as it went by.
- You need to bend your knees when picking up something heavy to avoid straining your back.
- He had to bend down low to tie his shoelaces.
- The gymnast can bend her body into incredible shapes during her performance.
- She can carry a heavy backpack filled with books to school.
- We need a strong box to carry all the groceries from the store.
- It's important to carry fragile items carefully to prevent them from breaking.
- The gymnast performed a perfect cartwheel during her routine.
- Learning to do a cartwheel can be a fun and exciting skill for kids.
- The children in the park were taking turns doing cartwheels on the grass.
- He reached out to catch the ball that was flying towards him.
- Can you try to catch the balloon before it floats away?
- The baseball player made an incredible leap to catch the high-flying ball.
- People often clap their hands to show appreciation for a great performance.
- Let's all clap together to celebrate their achievements.
- The audience erupted into claps and cheers after the exciting concert.
- Babies typically learn to crawl before they start walking.
- Some animals, like snakes, crawl on their bellies.
- She had to crawl through the narrow tunnel to reach the other side.
- At weddings, people love to dance and have a great time on the dance floor.
- She took dance lessons to learn how to dance gracefully.
- Even in the rain, they didn't mind getting wet while they danced in the street.
- The swimmer was ready to dive into the pool as soon as the race started.
- You should never dive into unknown waters without checking for safety first.
- He took a deep breath before the big dive off the diving board.
- He had to drag the heavy suitcase up the stairs to his hotel room.
- She didn't want to leave the park, so her parents had to drag her away reluctantly.
- They had to drag the fallen tree branches out of the way to clear the path.
- During the baseball game, he swung the bat and managed to hit the ball with great force.
- She accidentally hit her elbow on the corner of the table, and it hurt a lot.
- It's important to be careful and not hit others when playing games.
- The children gathered around to see who could jump the highest on the trampoline.
- He had to jump over the puddle to avoid getting his shoes wet.
- The athlete's long jump was so impressive that it broke the previous record.
- She can kick the soccer ball with great accuracy and power.
- He accidentally kicked the chair while walking, and it made a loud noise.
- When playing football, you need to know how to kick the ball effectively.
- They shared a sweet kiss under the starry night sky.
- A mother's kiss can make a scraped knee feel better.
- It's tradition to exchange a kiss at midnight on New Year's Eve.
- He likes to lean against the wall while waiting for his friends.
- It's important to lean forward when riding a bicycle to maintain balance.
- She chose to lean on her family for support during tough times.
- After a long day, it feels great to lie down on a comfortable bed and relax.
- The cat likes to lie down in the sunbeam for a cozy nap.
- You can lie down on the grass and gaze at the clouds on a sunny day.
- He needed to lift the heavy box off the ground and carry it to the truck.
- When weightlifting, it's essential to use proper form to lift weights safely.
- She offered to lift the books onto the top shelf for her friend.
- She had to pull hard on the rope to open the heavy door.
- He used a wagon to pull his younger siblings around the yard for a fun ride.
- The team had to work together to pull the stuck car out of the mud.
- He threw a powerful punch during the boxing match and scored a knockout.
- Be careful not to punch too hard, or you might hurt your hand.
- She playfully gave her friend a gentle punch on the arm as a sign of friendship.
- She needed to push the heavy shopping cart to the car in the parking lot.
- When opening a door, you can either pull or push it, depending on its design.
- They had to push the broken-down car to the side of the road until help arrived.
- Children enjoy going to the amusement park to ride on the roller coaster.
- She learned how to ride a bike without training wheels for the first time.
- They decided to ride horses through the scenic countryside during their vacation.
- During the race, he sprinted as fast as he could to run to the finish line.
- It's fun to run around and play tag with friends at the park.
- Running is an excellent way to stay active and healthy.
- After a long hike, they decided to sit down on a bench to rest and enjoy the view.
- She likes to sit by the window and read her favorite books.
- We should all sit in a circle to share our thoughts and ideas.
- Children often skip along the sidewalk while singing songs and holding hands.
- She learned how to skip rope in the schoolyard during recess.
- Let's skip rocks across the calm surface of the lake and see how many times they bounce.
- During the national anthem, everyone is expected to stand with their hand over their heart.
- They decided to stand in line early to get the best seats for the concert.
- He had to stand on tiptoe to reach the top shelf in the kitchen.
- It's important to stretch your muscles before exercising to prevent injuries.
- After sitting for a while, it feels good to stretch your arms and legs to relieve tension.
- She likes to start her day with a morning stretch routine to wake up her body.
- Many people enjoy going to the beach to swim in the ocean and cool off on hot days.
- Learning how to swim is an essential skill for water safety.
- The pool is a great place to swim and have fun with friends.
- He can throw a baseball with great accuracy and speed.
- Let's see who can throw the farthest when we toss the frisbee in the park.
- She carefully aimed and threw the paper airplane into the air.