English Vocabulary for Plants and Trees
Learn Common Plants and Trees in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn English words for different types of plants and trees. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "plants and trees" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
Create Your Own Version of This Game
Here is the word library for this game:
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "plants and trees" category:
- shrub, weeds, willow, bamboo, beech, birch, cactus, cattails, cedar, elm, fern, grass, ivy, maple, moss, oak, palm, pine
- A shrub is a small, woody plant that typically has many branches and leaves.
- Gardeners often use shrubs to add greenery and color to their gardens and landscapes.
- Shrubs can vary in size and shape, with some producing beautiful flowers.
- Weeds are unwanted plants that grow in gardens, lawns, and other places where they are not desired.
- Gardeners work to remove weeds to keep their gardens healthy and tidy.
- Some weeds have small flowers, while others are simply wild plants that can be invasive.
- A willow is a type of tree known for its slender branches and long, hanging leaves.
- Willow trees are often found near water and are known for their graceful appearance.
- Some people use willow branches to make woven baskets and furniture.
- Bamboo is a fast-growing plant that belongs to the grass family and is known for its sturdy stems.
- In some parts of the world, bamboo is used to build houses, furniture, and even musical instruments.
- Some pandas primarily eat bamboo as their main source of food.
- A beech tree is a type of deciduous tree known for its smooth bark and triangular-shaped leaves.
- Beech trees are common in forests and are known for providing shade in the summer.
- During autumn, beech leaves turn a beautiful golden color.
- A birch tree is a slender tree with distinctive white or silver bark.
- Birch trees are often planted for their ornamental value and are used in landscaping.
- The leaves of a birch tree are usually small and heart-shaped.
- A cactus is a type of succulent plant known for its ability to store water in its thick stem or leaves.
- Cacti come in various shapes and sizes and are well-suited for arid environments.
- Some cacti produce colorful flowers despite growing in dry regions.
- Cattails are tall, reed-like plants often found near the edges of ponds and wetlands.
- These plants have distinctive brown, sausage-shaped seed heads that resemble the tails of cats.
- Cattails provide habitat and food for various wildlife species.
- A cedar tree is a type of evergreen tree known for its aromatic wood and durable qualities.
- Cedar wood is often used in construction and for making furniture and closets.
- Some species of cedar trees produce cones and have needles that stay green year-round.
- An elm tree is a tall deciduous tree known for its serrated leaves and wide canopy.
- Elm trees provide shade and are often found lining streets and parks.
- Some species of elm trees produce seeds called "elm seeds" that are dispersed by the wind.
- A fern is a type of non-flowering plant known for its feathery and delicate fronds.
- Many ferns thrive in shaded and moist environments, making them popular as houseplants.
- Ferns reproduce by spores rather than seeds.
- Grass is a common plant that covers lawns and fields, providing a soft and green surface.
- People often mow their grass to keep it short and neat.
- Grass is also an important food source for many animals, such as cows and rabbits.
- Ivy is a climbing plant with trailing vines and distinctive lobed leaves.
- It's often used to decorate buildings, walls, and fences.
- Ivy can create a lush and green covering on surfaces it climbs.
- A maple tree is known for its distinctive leaves that have a characteristic shape with multiple lobes.
- Maple trees are prized for their sap, which is used to make maple syrup.
- In the fall, maple leaves turn vibrant shades of red, orange, and yellow.
- Moss is a small, non-vascular plant that often grows in damp and shaded areas.
- It forms a lush and green carpet on rocks, trees, and soil.
- Moss does not have true roots, stems, or leaves like other plants.
- An oak tree is a large and sturdy tree known for its strong wood and distinctive lobed leaves.
- Oak trees produce acorns, which are the seeds of the tree and are a food source for various animals.
- Some oak trees can live for hundreds of years.
- A palm tree is a tropical tree known for its tall, straight trunk and large, fan-shaped leaves.
- Many palm trees are found in warm and sunny climates near beaches and resorts.
- Coconut palms are famous for producing coconuts, which can be eaten and used to make coconut products.
- A pine tree is a type of evergreen tree known for its needle-like leaves and pine cones.
- Pine trees are often used for Christmas decorations, and their wood is used in construction.
- The scent of pine needles is distinct and can be quite refreshing.