English Vocabulary for Vegetables
Learn Common Vegetables in EnglishThe tests and the video in this lesson will help you learn the names of vegetables in English. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word. Here is a video for learning the names of 15 vegetables in English. video lesson
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "vegetables" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
Create Your Own Version of This Game
Here is the word library for this game:
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "vegetables" category:
- spinach, spring onion, tomato, turnip, asparagus, aubergine or eggplant, beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, chilli, corn, garlic, kale, lettuce, peas, pepper, pickle, potato, pumpkin, radish, rocket
- Spinach is a leafy green vegetable that's packed with vitamins and minerals.
- We like to add fresh spinach leaves to our salads for extra nutrients.
- Spinach can be sautéed with garlic and olive oil for a simple and healthy side dish.
- Spring onions are slender green onions with small white bulbs, and they add a mild onion flavor to dishes.
- We chopped some spring onions to sprinkle on top of our baked potatoes.
- Spring onions are often used as a garnish in soups and salads.
- A tomato is a round, red or yellow fruit that's commonly used in salads and sandwiches.
- We sliced a ripe tomato to put in our burger.
- Tomatoes are also the main ingredient in ketchup and tomato sauce.
- A turnip is a root vegetable with a white or purple skin and a slightly spicy taste.
- We roasted turnips with carrots and potatoes for a tasty side dish.
- Turnips can be mashed and seasoned with butter and herbs.
- Asparagus is a green vegetable with long, tender stalks and a unique flavor.
- We steamed asparagus and served it with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Asparagus can be grilled or roasted with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
aubergine or eggplant
- Aubergine or eggplant is a purple or black vegetable used in dishes like ratatouille and eggplant parmesan.
- We sliced aubergine and grilled it to make a tasty vegetable sandwich.
- Eggplant can be baked with cheese and tomato sauce for a delicious casserole.
- Beetroot is a deep red or purple root vegetable with a sweet and earthy flavor.
- We enjoyed a salad with sliced beetroot, goat cheese, and walnuts.
- Beetroot can be pickled to create a tangy and colorful side dish.
- Broccoli is a green vegetable with small florets that's high in vitamins and fiber.
- We steamed broccoli and served it with a sprinkle of grated cheese.
- Broccoli is a healthy addition to stir-fries and pasta dishes.
- Cabbage is a round or oval vegetable with tightly packed leaves, and it's often used in coleslaw and sauerkraut.
- We made a delicious cabbage soup with carrots and potatoes.
- Cabbage can be sautéed with butter and garlic for a simple side dish.
- A carrot is a bright orange vegetable that's crunchy and sweet when eaten raw.
- We like to dip carrot sticks into hummus for a healthy snack.
- Carrots can also be cooked in soups and stir-fries.
- Cauliflower is a white vegetable with a mild flavor, and it's often used in dishes like cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower.
- We roasted cauliflower florets with olive oil and spices for a tasty side dish.
- Cauliflower can be steamed and mashed as a lower-carb alternative to mashed potatoes.
- Chilli is a spicy pepper used to add heat and flavor to dishes like chili con carne and salsa.
- We added a touch of chilli powder to our homemade tomato sauce for a kick of spice.
- Chillies come in various shapes and sizes, and their spiciness can vary.
- Corn is a yellow or golden vegetable often eaten as corn on the cob or as corn kernels in salads and soups.
- We boiled fresh corn on the cob and brushed it with butter.
- Corn can also be made into popcorn for a tasty snack.
- Garlic is a pungent bulb used to add flavor to a wide range of savory dishes.
- We minced garlic and sautéed it with onions for a delicious pasta sauce.
- Garlic cloves can be roasted to become soft and mild in flavor.
- Kale is a dark leafy green vegetable that's known for being rich in vitamins and nutrients.
- We made a healthy kale salad with lemon vinaigrette dressing.
- Kale can be sautéed or baked into crispy kale chips for a crunchy snack.
- Lettuce is a leafy green vegetable often used as a base for salads and sandwiches.
- We made a fresh garden salad with crisp lettuce leaves and colorful vegetables.
- Lettuce can add a refreshing crunch to your favorite burger.
- Peas are small, round green vegetables that can be eaten fresh or cooked.
- We added peas to our pasta for a burst of color and sweetness.
- Peas are a popular side dish and a favorite ingredient in pot pies.
- A pepper is a vegetable known for its various colors, including red, green, and yellow.
- We sliced a red pepper to use as a crunchy topping for our salad.
- Peppers can be roasted and used in sandwiches or stuffed with a delicious filling.
- A pickle is a cucumber that has been preserved in a vinegar solution with herbs and spices.
- We enjoy pickles as a tangy and crunchy snack.
- Pickles are often added to sandwiches and burgers for extra flavor.
- A potato is a starchy vegetable that can be baked, mashed, fried, or boiled.
- We made creamy mashed potatoes to go with our roast chicken.
- Potatoes are a versatile ingredient used in many dishes, including french fries and potato salad.
- A pumpkin is a large orange or yellow squash often used in pies and soups.
- We carved a spooky face into a pumpkin for Halloween.
- Pumpkin puree is a key ingredient in making pumpkin pie, a popular dessert during Thanksgiving.
- A radish is a small, crunchy vegetable with a peppery flavor.
- We sliced radishes and added them to our garden salad for extra crunch.
- Radishes are often used as a garnish in dishes and sushi.
- Rocket, also known as arugula, is a leafy green with a slightly peppery taste.
- We made a delicious rocket and parmesan salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
- Rocket is a popular addition to pizzas and sandwiches for its distinctive flavor.