English Vocabulary for Family
Learn Common Family Members in EnglishThis is a lesson to help you learn English words for family members. There are eight learning methods for you to work through, including five different games and three different types of flashcard. At the end, there are three example sentences for each word.
Vocabulary Games forThe games and flashcards are currently set to test the following [wait...] words:
Table of Contents
- Match-the-Pairs Game
- Memory Game
- Basic Flash Cards
- Spell-the-Word Game
- Multi-Choice Test
- Learn with Hangman!
- "Sentence" Flash Cards
- "Missing Word" Flash Cards
- Example Sentences
Sets: getting ready...
- Your mission is to match each picture with the correct word in as few a clicks as possible.
- There are three pictures in each set, and there are sets to complete.
- Click on your first square to start. Good luck!
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
Basic Flash Cards
Spell-the-Word GameSpell the word represented by the picture.
Multi-Choice TestSelect the correct word or picture.
Learn with Hangman!Hangman is a classic word game. In this version, the hidden word is one of the words from the "family" category. Choose your first letter to start.
- Guess the hidden word by choosing one letter at a time.
- If you guess a letter in the hidden word, then all is good.
- If you guess a letter that is not in the hidden word, then the hangman starts to build the gallows.
- If the gallows are completed, you lose.
- Good luck!
Create Your Own Version of This Game
Here is the word library for this game:
"Sentence" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the word in a sentence.
"Missing Word" Flash CardsClick on the box to see the missing word in a sentence.
Example SentencesHere are 3 sentences for each of the following words from the "family" category:
- wife, aunt, brother, children, cousin, father, grandchildren, granddaughter, grandfather, grandmother, grandparents, grandson, husband, mother, sister, uncle
- A wife is a married woman who shares a loving and committed relationship with her husband.
- Many couples celebrate their love and partnership with a wedding ceremony, where a woman becomes a wife.
- Being a supportive and caring wife often involves sharing responsibilities and making decisions together with one's spouse.
- An aunt is the sister of one's parent and is often a beloved family member who offers care and support to their nieces and nephews.
- Many children have fond memories of spending time with their aunt, who may provide guidance, gifts, and a special bond.
- Aunts can play a significant role in a child's life, offering love and companionship.
- A brother is a male sibling, and the relationship between brothers can be characterized by shared experiences and a unique bond.
- Brothers often grow up together, supporting and sometimes teasing each other along the way.
- Having a brother means having a lifelong friend who understands the ups and downs of family life.
- Children are young individuals, typically ranging from infancy to adolescence, who are an important part of families and communities.
- Parents and caregivers are responsible for nurturing and providing for their children, ensuring their well-being and growth.
- Many educational and recreational activities are designed to engage and enrich the lives of children.
- A cousin is a relative who shares a common ancestor but is not a sibling; cousins often have family gatherings and celebrations together.
- Some cousins are close in age and become close friends, while others may live in different places but still maintain a family connection.
- Family trees can become quite complex when including multiple generations of aunts, uncles, and cousins.
- A father is a male parent who plays a vital role in raising and nurturing his children.
- Fathers often provide emotional support, guidance, and love to their kids, helping them grow into responsible adults.
- Celebrating Father's Day is a way to show appreciation for all the love and hard work that fathers contribute to their families.
- Grandchildren are the children of one's own children, and they bring joy and happiness to their grandparents.
- Grandparents often enjoy spending time with their grandchildren, sharing stories and creating lasting memories.
- The relationship between grandparents and grandchildren is special and filled with love and affection.
- A granddaughter is the female child of one's own child, and she holds a special place in the hearts of her grandparents.
- Grandparents may dote on their granddaughters, showering them with love, attention, and perhaps even little gifts.
- Watching a granddaughter grow and thrive is a source of pride and happiness for grandparents.
- A grandfather is the male parent of one's parent, and he often plays a wise and nurturing role in the lives of his grandchildren.
- Many people have fond memories of spending quality time with their grandfathers, listening to stories and receiving guidance.
- Grandfathers can be great sources of wisdom and support for their grandchildren.
- A grandmother is the female parent of one's parent, and she often embodies love, care, and warmth in the family.
- Grandmothers may pass down family traditions, recipes, and cherished heirlooms to their grandchildren.
- Many people have fond memories of baking cookies, playing games, or receiving comforting hugs from their grandmothers.
- Grandparents are older family members who often provide love, guidance, and a sense of family history to their grandchildren.
- Spending time with one's grandparents can be a valuable and enriching experience, fostering a sense of belonging and tradition.
- Some families have the tradition of celebrating holidays and special occasions with their grandparents.
- A grandson is the male child of one's own child, and he brings joy and pride to his grandparents.
- Grandparents often cherish moments spent with their grandsons, whether it's playing games, sharing stories, or attending events together.
- Watching a grandson grow and achieve milestones is a source of happiness for grandparents.
- A husband is a married man who shares a life and partnership with his wife, providing love and support to his family.
- Marriage is a significant commitment in which a man becomes a husband, sharing responsibilities and building a life together with his spouse.
- Many couples celebrate their love through wedding ceremonies, becoming husband and wife.
- A mother is a female parent who plays a central role in caring for and nurturing her children.
- Mothers provide love, guidance, and support to their kids, helping them grow and thrive.
- Mothers are often celebrated on Mother's Day for their dedication and love.
- A sister is a female sibling who shares a unique bond with her brothers and sisters, often growing up together and creating lasting memories.
- Siblings may have their differences, but the love between sisters is a special and enduring connection.
- Many people rely on the support and friendship of their sisters throughout their lives.
- An uncle is the brother of one's parent, and he often plays a fun and caring role in the lives of his nieces and nephews.
- Uncles may share hobbies, stories, and adventures with their nieces and nephews, making family gatherings enjoyable.
- Family relationships can be enriched by the presence of uncles who offer guidance and positive influences.