Smell Something Fishy (Origin)
What Is the Origin of the Saying "Smell Something Fishy"?The term "smell something fishy" means to be suspicious of something or to detect that something isn't quite right.
Table of Contents
- English Proverbs and Idioms Test
- More Proverbs, Sayings, and Idioms
"To smell something fishy" and all its variants originate from the fish markets of the early 1800s, when the smell of a fish would provide a good indication of its freshness. Unscrupulous fishmongers would claim their fish was fresh, but the smell of their fish would often tell a different story. This idea is well captured in this quotation:
- Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is. (Humorist PJ O'Rourke)
Examples of Use:
- I thought something smelled fishy. When I checked, six of my employees were working from the Maldives.
- This deal smells fishy. Why is the car so cheap?
- That man in the hat and sunglasses looks a bit fishy to me.