Over My Dead Body (Origin)
What Is the Origin of the Saying "Over My Dead Body"?The term "over my dead body" means no way or under no circumstances.
Table of Contents
- English Proverbs and Idioms Test
- More Proverbs, Sayings, and Idioms
Examples of Use:
- You can get a pet tarantula over my dead body.
- Over my dead body will you ever become a senior partner.
- A tattoo? Over my dead body!
A common image that comes to mind is a knight who is prepared to protect something with his life. He is effectively saying "you will have to step over my dead body to get this." Despite all this talk of death, the saying is often used in a light-hearted fashion:
- You can date my daughter over my dead body.