To Weep Crocodile Tears (Origin)
What Is the Origin of the Saying "To Weep Crocodile Tears"?To weep crocodile tears means to offer an insincere show of sorrow. The term is thought to derive from the lubricating tears that emanate from a crocodile's lachrymal glands as it devours its prey. Whilst it may appear that the crocodile is showing remorse for its victim, we can be certain it is not.
Table of Contents
- English Proverbs and Idioms Test
- More Proverbs, Sayings, and Idioms
Examples of Use:
- Nobody believes her crocodile tears. She's wanted him gone for years.
- Stop with the crocodile tears. The answer is no.
- The baby just wants attention. They're only crocodile tears.