Our most common search themes:
The plural of fish is fish or fishes.
The Plural of FishThe plural of fish is fish or fishes.
- Fish range in size from 8 millimeters to 16 meters.
- Ana Ortiz plays my sister in "Sleeping with the Fishes." (Gina Rodriguez)
- Our pond contains 3 fishes. There are about 100 fish in total.
|Type||Example of Type||Forming the Plural||Plural|
|Most Nouns|| cat
|add s|| cats
|Noun Ending s, sh, ch, x or z|| fish
|add es|| fishes
|Nouns ending [consonant] o|| mango
|add either s or es
(There are no rules for this - you have to know.)
| mangoes or mangos
|Nouns ending [vowel] o|| patio
|add s|| patios
|Nouns ending [consonant] y|| story
|change the y to an i and add es|| stories
|Nouns ending [vowel] y|| storey ()
|add s|| storeys
|Nouns ending f or fe|| dwarf
|ves and/or s
(There are no rules - you have to know.)
|some nouns undergo a vowel or letters change|| geese
|More exceptions|| salmon
|some nouns do not change at all|| salmon
Why Is There Confusion over the Plural of Fish?Confusion arises because fish and fishes are used interchangeably. For example:
- He is sleeping with the fishes.
- There are plenty more fish in the sea.