What Is a Metaphor (with Examples)
What Is a Metaphor? (with Examples)A metaphor asserts that one thing is something that it literally is not. A metaphor is a figure of speech.
Examples of MetaphorsHere are some examples of metaphors:
- She is a fox.
- Dave is a bad apple.
- His face was a blue moon pocked with craters.
- Her eyes were darting searchlights, scanning the room for her rival.
- An icy stare
The bottom line is this: If something is being re-identified as (i.e., not compared to) something that it literally is not, then you're looking at a metaphor.
Famous Metaphors (Examples)Here are some metaphors by famous people:
- Conscience is a manís compass. (Dutch post-Impressionist painter Vincent van Gogh, 1853-1890)
- All religions, arts, and sciences are branches of the same tree. (Theoretical physicist Albert Einstein, 1879-1955)
- All at once he was alone in this noisy hive with no place to roost. (Tom Wolfe)
Funny Metaphors (Examples)Here are some funny metaphors:
- Love is an exploding cigar we willingly smoke.
- John and Mary had never met. They were two hummingbirds who had also never met.
- True friends stab you in the front. (Oscar Wilde)