Our most common search themes:
What Are Emphatic Pronouns? (with Examples)The emphatic pronouns aremyself, yourself, herself, himself, itself, ourselves, yourselves, and themselves.
These words can be either emphatic pronouns or reflexive pronouns.
This page is about their use as emphatic pronouns.
The Use of Emphatic PronounsAn emphatic pronoun refers back to another noun (or pronoun) in the sentence to emphasize it. For example:
- The Queen herself attended the party. (The Queen is the noun being emphasized. It is called the antecedent of the emphatic pronoun.)
Examples of Emphatic PronounsHere are some more examples of emphatic pronouns:
- She will do it herself. (The emphatic pronoun herself emphasizes that she will do it. The waiter won't do it. Her husband won't do it. Her son won't do it. SHE will do it.)
- The scouts cooked these cakes themselves. (The emphatic pronoun themselves emphasizes that the scouts cooked the cakes, i.e., not their mothers.)
- I heard the lie myself. (The emphatic pronoun myself emphasizes that I heard the lie.)
- The cat opened the door itself.
- SHE will do it.
- I heard the lie.
- THE CAT opened the door.
See also: reflexive pronouns