Poisonous and Venomous?
The Quick AnswerWhat is the difference between poisonous and venomous?
Poisonous is an adjective describing something that can cause death or injury if it is ingested or absorbed.
Venomous is an adjective describing creatures that inject their victims with a toxin.
PoisonousThe adjective poisonous is used to describe something (often a plant, animal, or chemical) that contains a toxin that is harmful when absorbed, consumed, or inhaled.
- Human fatalities caused by poisonous plants – especially resulting from accidental ingestion – are rare in the United States.
- The wild golden frog may be the most poisonous living animal.
VenomousThe adjective venomous is used to describe an animal that injects a self-produced toxin into its victim usually through stingers or fangs.
- If you touch a venomous snake, it'll turn around and bite you so fast it's not even funny. (Steve Irwin)
- The adder is the only venomous snake found in the United Kingdom.
Using Poisonous FigurativelyPoisonous, when used figuratively, means extremely unpleasant or harmful. (It carries the connotation of being passively damaging.)
- Humiliation is poisonous. It's one of the deepest pains of being human. (Pierce Brosnan)
- Writing as an expert is poisonous to the writing process because you lose the quality of discovery. (Siddhartha Mukherjee)
Using Venomous FigurativelyVenomous, when used figuratively, refers to a person (or their behaviour) full of malice or spite. (It carries the connotation of being actively damaging.)
- I could have gone through life thinking that women were these venomous creatures. Turns out, they're not. (Claire Danes)
- I don't use a pen to write reviews. I write with a venomous goose quill. (Jay Dratler)
See Alsoadverse or averse? affect or effect? appraise or apprise? avenge or revenge? bare or bear? complement or compliment? dependant or dependent? discreet or discrete? disinterested or uninterested? e.g. or i.e.? envy or jealousy? imply or infer? its or it's? material or materiel? practice or practise? principal or principle? tenant or tenet? who's or whose?
What are nouns? What are adjectives? What is figurative language? List of easily confused words