Mantel or Mantle?
The Quick AnswerWhat is the difference between mantel and mantle?
The noun mantel is a decorative protruding shelf over a fireplace. For everything else, use mantle.
MantelThe noun mantel is the ornamental shelf above a fireplace.
- I have an Oscar on my mantel.
- The mantel on my fireplace is made from Italian marble.
MantleThe word mantle is a noun with many meanings.
Mantle: A sleeveless coat or a cloak.
- The child was wrapped tightly in his mother's mantle.
Mantle: Something that covers.
- The cabins in the resort were covered by a fresh mantle of snow.
Mantle: The layer of the Earth between the crust and the outer core.
- In some places under the ocean, the mantle is actually exposed on the surface of Earth.