An angel is a guardian spirit that acts as an agent or messenger of God.
- Peace is the first thing the angels sang. (John Keble)
- The word angle comes from the Latin word angulus (meaning corner).
Angle and AngelSpelling mistakes involving angel and angle seem to be quite common, particularly in tattoos.
AngelThe noun angel denotes a supernatural being or spirit found in various religions and mythologies. Angels are said to act as agents or messengers of God.
The word angel can also be used figuratively to describe a person of exemplary conduct or virtue.
- I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free. (Michelangelo)
- It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels. (Saint Augustine)
AngleThe noun angle is a mathematical term that describes the space between two intersecting lines or surfaces diverging from a common point. The word angle is also used to describe particular way of approaching an issue. Angle can also be used as a verb meaning to fish (from angling).
- I keep both of my Tonys on my mantle. They are placed in front of a mirror so if you look at just the right angle, it looks like I have four! (Swoosie Kurtz)
- Modesty is the only sure bait when you angle for praise. (Philip Stanhope) (Here, angle is being used as a verb meaning to fish. It is being used figuratively.)