Advise and Advice
The Quick AnswerWhat is the difference between "advise" and "advice"?
"Advise" is a verb. The verb "to advise" means to give advice. For example:
- Please advise me. I need you to advise me.
(Please give me advice. I need you to give me advice.)
"Advice" is a noun. It means help or a suggestion for a beneficial course of action.
- Please give me your advice. I need your advice.
Advise and AdviceThere is often confusion over the words "advise" and "advice." The very quick answer is this:
- Advise is a verb. (It rhymes with prize.)
- Advice is a noun. (It rhymes with mice.)
Infographic explaining when to use "advice" and "advise."
AdviseThe word "advise" is a verb meaning to give advice. (It rhymes with prize.) "To advise" can also mean to notify (e.g., I advised him I was leaving.)
- The rich are always advising the poor, but the poor seldom return the compliment.
- Attach yourself to those who advise you rather than praise you.
- Women will never be as successful as men because they have no wives to advise them.
- I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it.
AdviceThe word "advice" is a noun meaning a suggestion for a beneficial course of action. (Advice rhymes with mice.)
- Take my advice. I don't use it anyway.
- He who can take advice is often superior to him who can give it.
- Many receive advice, but only the wise profit from it.
A Video SummaryHere is a short video summarizing the difference between "advice" and "advise."
Interactive ExerciseHere are three randomly selected questions from a larger exercise, which can be edited and printed to create exercise worksheets.
See Alsoadverse or averse? affect or effect? appraise or apprise? avenge or revenge? bare or bear? complement or compliment? dependant or dependent? discreet or discrete? disinterested or uninterested? e.g. or i.e.? envy or jealousy? imply or infer? its or it's? material or materiel? poisonous or venomous? practice or practise? principal or principle? tenant or tenet? who's or whose?
What are nouns? What are verbs? List of easily confused words